Day 1 Of My New Beginning

Today is the first day of my sobriety.
I’ve been a binge drinker for about 10 years now and more often than not end the night blacking out. I’ve lied to myself and my husband saying that I can control it, I can cut back, I won’t drink that much next time and I never follow through. As soon as the buzz hits I have no control over how much I drink and after last night I’ve come to the realization that the only way I’ll be able to change is if I stop completely.

Does anyone have any advice and tips for someone just starting out on their sobriety?

16 Likes

Welcome! I’m somewhat newish here and I find this forum so immensely helpful. Read lots, post regularly especially if you’re struggling/craving…there’s also a great thread called “Daily Tip for the Struggling Newbie” :blush:

2 Likes

Here’s the link to thread:

https://talkingsober.com/t/daily-tip-for-the-struggling-newbie/59975

1 Like

Welcome!! It’s a super rough road in the beginning of sobriety, but it does get better. You have to want it though. I’ve lived that vicious cycle and then one day realized that if I didnt change I would lose my husband and my children. I decided to quit drinking and it has been the best ever. Just check this app several times a day. When you feel the urge to drink then open this app and read stories, it helps!! So glad you are here. Have faith in yourself and remember who you really are.

5 Likes

I was just like you, about a year ago.
I knew I had a problem. I knew it would get me into trouble and that I had to quit.
But I didn’t. I just kept going hard. That all ended October 28th 2018 when I totaled my truck, another vehicle and injured its 2 passengers.
I gave away control, free will and my safety in order to be drunk.
This is what that looks like.

8 Likes

I’m so sorry that it got to that point for you. Thank you for sharing this, it’s definitely a wake up call

1 Like

This is my Day 1 too! My FINAL DAY ONE.

3 Likes

We can do this!

It’s the best thing that’s ever happened to me.

1 Like

Thank you! I’ll definitely be utilizing this!

2 Likes

Right there with you.

1 Like

Welcome to the club. I’m day 9 sober. I’ve been a heavy drinker for years. And every day sober is exciting to me. I had to get to the point where I hate alcohol. And now every day I remind myself that stuff is poison. So far it’s working

3 Likes

Congratulation on making the first big step. Im on day 4 and the first few days are rough. Keep checking in daily. The constant support here truly helps!!!

1 Like

Hi there and welcome here! 🙋

I’ve made a list for myself and for me it’s very helpfull. I share it with you, maybe you see something you can use too!

• No alcohol in my house
  • Refrigerator filled with nice food and alc. free drinks
  • Telling my spouse about my sober plan
  • Avoid alcohol related activities and friends (at least in the beginning)
  • Having a day counter
  • Avoid wine/beer section in the supermarket and avoid liquor store
  • Taking a strong vitamine B complex
  • Taking melatonin to help me sleep
  • Be gentle to myself, like go to bed early, taking a long bath, etc.
  • Doing relaxing activaties like meditate, yoga, walking, etc.
  • When I have cravings: I don’t pick up that first one but I walk, run, work out, eat chocolat, watch Netflix, clean, study, whatever.
  • Ask for help when I need it.
  • Be here every day and check in sober.

In about 10 days I’m 1 year sober. Hope to see you around often, it helps to be here much!! :heart:

2 Likes

Fantastic list from Buts there - really, really useful!

Just one other tip - start investigating, hopefully with a very open mind, AA. For many of us it is a fantastic way to sustain sobriety, and to develop within that sobriety.

4 Likes

Try a meeting they will help wish you well

1 Like