Day 1 of my sobriety journey

Day 1!!

I am not really “Alcoholic” more a binge drinker and once I pop I can’t stop. Whatever is going on I am addressing it NOW.

I suffer terrible with palpitations the day after drinking so I started using “hair of the dog” to get me through. (Basically drinking through my hangover). It just got silly!!!

I want to get t total. I WILL.

Welcome to my journey

:muscle:

Sarah x

19 Likes

Hi Sarah,
If you’re not a real alcoholic, you’ll do until one comes along. I had loss of control, shakes, and morning drinking too. I was able to get sober and I believe you can also!

Blessings on your house :pray: as you begin your journey.

12 Likes

Very similar to me. Mine was binge drinking during tough times that I really didn’t want to face.

4 Likes

Hi what do you mean “I’ll do until one comes along?” Sorry little confused by that.

Thx for replying!

SJ x

Thanks! This is gonna be good it’s good to talk ….

1 Like

Yes I used to drink to get drunk I guess I suffer with shyness I need to learn to be confident walking into an event etc without alcohol that will be the toughest for me what about you?

Mine wasn’t due to shyness. In fact I rarely drank in public. For me is when everything was compounding on me and very stressful. I would get whiskey and just hit it to forget about my problems. It really was a crutch for me not facing my problems in that moment. So now I’ve removed the stresses I can (social media, work, etc.) Knowing there are things I can’t remove but I’m lightning my stressors as much as possible.

2 Likes

Hi :raising_hand_woman: welcome to the community, there is lots of support here, glad you found us.

1 Like

It’s just a thing I’ve heard around AA, directed to people who might be doubting if they should label themselves ‘alcoholic’. What you describe, the inability to control it, the instant craving for more once started, the shakes and treating a hangover with hair of the dog, all that and more applied to me too. I call myself a recovered alcoholic these days. The saying means that you can be a part of our solution if you want to.

Welcome to Talking Sober, Sarah Jane, it’s always good to have new folks joining our common journey.

6 Likes

I think alot of times we think just because we don’t drink daily that we don’t have a problem. I haven’t had beer in 2 years. But whiskey was my crutch to not dealing with things; which meant I had a problem. To me if it’s a crutch then it’s a problem that has to be dealt with regardless of what we call it.

4 Likes

Totally agree!!

Agreed x it’s really refreshing to talk about it … I started to feel like I was going mad and then got embarrassed. It helps talking to strangers rather than ppl close to me how bizarre

2 Likes

One day at a time! You got this! :smiley:

2 Likes

I’m really glad you’re here because that’s how I saw myself more than 10 years ago and then it turned into drinking everyday. I wish I had delt with it sooner, but I don’t regret all that I’ve learned along the way. This is where my path brought me.
Whatever your journey is I’m glad that you’re here :heart: There’s so much support, information and Caring.

2 Likes

Welcome to the community! How are you doing today?

2 Likes

I am good thank you! It’s my day 1 of sober ! Let’s we shall we :slight_smile: :slight_smile: how ru ?

3 Likes

I’m doing well thanks for asking!

I hope day 1 goes well. Remember that the first few days/weeks are the hardest so keep pushing through!

3 Likes

I have a date tonight so this will be hard not to have a glass of wine coz I’m
Bloody SHYYYY

1 Like

You’re not an Alcoholic, you only binge… today’s day one…but you’re shy, so may drink on date tonight…

Good news, bad news

Bad News…You may find yourself on day one for awhile

Good News…This group will still be here

Be well on your journey.

8 Likes

Best of luck for the long road ahead :+1:
Most of the issues i can relate

I can relate this one and most of us don’t know after few drinks because that sense itself is lost by alcohol in brain, but i am sure now that we have decided to fight back we will be victorious one day

2 Likes