#Day 1 SOBER

HI I’m new here, day one sober after an awful week long drinking binge. Feel very exhausted and ashamed. Wish me luck x

15 Likes

Welcome to the forum, you’ve made a great first step by being here!

1 Like

Thank you Shell, nice to meet you.

1 Like

Welcome glad you are here!

1 Like

Thank you x

1 Like

Did luck have anything to do with you’re current predicament?

I earned my alcoholism by putting in hard work, putting in the drinks, the selfishness, the financial ruin, the stressed relationships with family and wife.

To get sober I had to put in the hard work too. I went to 100 of meetings, went to IOP, went to a therapist, made my court appearances.

Almost 500 days sober now and life has never been better, it wasn’t all sunshine and roses though. So when things don’t go according to your plan, don’t cut and run for your comfort. Comfort is the enemy of progress.

Throw the kitchen sink at your sobriety.

Welcome to the forum, hope to see you around.

15 Likes

Often wondered what is IOP please

1 Like

Thank you, yes these are wise words. And I agree, definatly going to take much hard work. Almost 500 days sober is amazing.

Well done you

Welcome @Frantasticooo :wave: youre in the right place. It will not be easy, but the rewards are plenty :muscle::+1:

1 Like

Thank you. MY anxiety levels are through the roof, it’s going to be a long day. :exploding_head::tired_face:

2 Likes

Hi and welcome,
I’ve made a sober plan wich helps me to be sober. Just practical stuff, but maybe it helps you too! I share it with you:

• No alcohol in my house
  • Refrigerator filled with nice food and alc. free drinks
  • Telling my spouse about my sober plan
  • Avoid alcohol related activities and friends (at least in the beginning)
  • Having a day counter
  • Avoid wine/beer section in the supermarket and avoid liquor store
  • Taking a strong vitamine B complex
  • Taking melatonin to help me sleep
  • Be gentle to myself, like go to bed early, taking a long bath, etc.
  • Doing relaxing activaties like meditate, yoga, walking, etc.
  • When I have cravings: I don’t pick up that first one but I walk, run, work out, eat chocolat, watch Netflix, clean, study, whatever.
  • Ask for help when I need it.
  • Be here every day to read and check in sober.

🙋

4 Likes

This is great, thank you I will be stealing some of these to put in my journal later :blush::heart_eyes:

3 Likes

One of the rewards of not drinking is no more anxiety.

Focus on not drinking only for today. When you start to feel better and that little voice saying it’s ok to drink pops into your head, tell it to eff off!

1 Like

This is great advice, that where I always end up relapsing, listening to that stupid voice!!

1 Like

@adeygaga49 Intensive OutPatient treatment. Usually 3-6 hours per day, 3-7 days per week. These can be stand alone or a follow up to inpatient detox and rehab.

My IOP program was run by the state department of correction. It enabled me to serve my jail sentence at home on house arrest rather than locked up for 2-3 years. It was my 5th drunk driving conviction and the prosecutors did not want me on the street.

I was the only guy who stayed sober in my IOP class. There’s a sobering thought, should I ever need one.

7 Likes

HI Cate, I think your a day ahead of me, must last drink was last night. How u doing?

1 Like

Just got in from work and I’m hoping my son will have a nap so I can catch 40 winks too. Then house work and dog walk, maybe some yoga later. Feeling very jittery :persevere::persevere:

1 Like

I’ll wish you more than luck - I’ll wish you success.

You CAN do this.

You are ‐ likely, and will be - scared $#@!less…

Go with it. It’s ok. Fear won’t kill you. It CAN make you stronger, in its overcoming. If you think about it, most of what you’ve done has been born of fear.

Shame? “LOOK AT WHAT I’VE DONE?! WHO I AM!! I’M A MONSTER! A FAILURE! UNLOVED! UNLOVABLE!”

Bull$#@!

The thoughts in your head are not reality. They are only the map you make to try and describe the world your experience…

Your map making skills are…questionable…

At best.

Got to meetings.
Listen.
Learn.

If your world view does not account for a God, don’t panic. I’ve been sober 30 years, and God never entered the equation.

If a loving God IS a part of your life, embrace it.

The point to come to is this:

While you are most certainly the center of YOUR universe, YOU are not the center of THE Universe.

Trust me when I tell you that is a VERY comforting thought, even if you don’t know it yet.

You are one of billions. And there is strength in numbers. You are not alone, and there are friends out there you have yet to meet, ready willing and able to assist on this leg of the journey.

It won’t be easy, or free of pain. But, in time, you’ll discover that pain is just nature’s way of telling you you’re healing.

5 Likes

Ah ok thank you I understand now :slightly_smiling_face: