Day 1 tips

Any tips to stay on track? What does everyone do when you get that urge to have a drink?

2 Likes

I tend to keep myself busy, which has been more than easy with my extra hours at work and setting up my new apartment.
Check in on here a lot and talk with people, drink water and sleep.

1 Like

Welcome!!! Reading sober lit and personal sober stories helps me alot. I also find long walks in nature while listening to whatever my feelings desire, such as sober podcasts or music, helps. I wish you the best!!!

2 Likes

Hi,
for me I have wrote down on a white board my ambitions and goals for the year. I have placed it in my front room where I can see these goals. Sobriety being a big one. Probably the most difficult.
See I believe in visualisation… if I see it and im reminded of it on a daily basis this will strengthen my confidence and remind me how important it is to me. Kinda like law of attraction.
What I do other than this is stay away from friends I would normally associate with drink and places etc. Or at least until I’m confident enough to mix with the drinkers and no I will not fold…
I believe its like most things in life, times a great healer and enough repetition of avoiding alcohol will eventually give me strength to say NO when in such environments. I’ve found this community is also good to keep reading and taking part in discussions as it keeps it fresh in my mind.
Good luck. You got this. :ok_hand:

1 Like

The best answer is the stay busy but try to avoid triggers. Work has kept me occupied. I’m fine during the weekday when I work all day but on the weekends, it gets a little harder with the freetime. I tried making plans and obligations for the weekend, but even then I am finding ways to procrastinate or cancel. It takes a great deal of self discipline. Even something as simple as doing some puzzles, playing games, exercising, walking your dogs, cleaning/reorganizing… it helps. Then before you know it, it’s time for bed and you’ve knocked a whole day out

1 Like

Welcome! AA has been a huge part of my success to stay on track and I’ve made some long lasting friendships in those meetings. I can call these womam anytime of the day or night and they’re happy to help.

Here’s a thread you may find helpful.

1 Like

Alot of posts here to read to remind me why i dont want to drink, quit lit, you tube topics about the harm alcohol does to the body, 12 step programs, treatment facilities, rehab, calling sponsor or counselor, avoid places and people that may bring temptation. I realize that alcohol has never done anything positive for me in my life, never given me anything just taken people i loved, my freedom, caused alot of pain and hurt, anxiety and depression. So when i start feeling the urge to drink i just remember all the negative impacts alcohol has had in my life.

4 Likes

Avoid Triggers
Remove all reminders from your place.
Take a week to yourself and avoid social settings and events that would tempt you.
Replace the urge with, exercise, a walk, reading, talking to a friend, a hobby.
join the daily gratitude list here
join the daily check in here.
Reach out to the community here for support
Join AA or an online group

https://talkingsober.com/t/daily-gratitude-list-gratitude-the-air-of-recovery

2 Likes

Try ameeting worked for me so far wish you well

3 Likes

Try to stay busy, not doing anything and feeling lonely and bored sucks. It will make you go back where you came from. Think about it like this have you ever had a bad relationship, if you have had one before would you like to go back to it the answer should be no, hell no right think about it like that hope it helps.

1 Like

I feel your pain my man. Exactly the same here, alcohol has only ever cause damage to my life too. As you’ve said ruined many relationships, any trouble I’ve ever been in has been drink related, ruined further career steps with alcohol.
The list is endless.
It’s such a shame we let this happen.
In realty theres such a simple answer to stopping this. Take away the common cause.
Stay strong brother. :facepunch:

1 Like

Hey there.

Things to do to beat the urge… play the tape through in your head - feel like picking up? What happens if you do? Honestly play the tape through right to the next day. Is that where you what to be and feel?

Create a toolbox of things to do instead -
Jump on here and read and comment… write up a pros and cons list and keep it in your pocket as a handy reminder.
run a bath, go for a walk/run, do some boxing, attend a AA meeting, scream in a pillow, firmly tell that pesky taunting voice that its wasting it’s time because you dont drink anymore. Shut it down before its whisper becomes a roar. I used to look like a crazy woman saying it out loud to myself but it worked haha.
These are some of the things that really helped me.

1 Like