Day 1 - trying again…

I have attempted sobriety many times. Every time I’m ok for a while and then drink again. Within a few months I’ve lost track of everything and am drinking most of every day. I really need to find a way to stay sober, even if it’s just to stay sober longer than before. I’ve done AA and I find it super negative and I have tried multiple times to have a sponsor only to be let down or completely stood up by them. Most recently I did the Sober Sis program from Jen Kautch which was great and I’m going to look back through everything again (daily videos etc for 10 weeks). What other programs are out there? What has worked for you?

6 Likes

Here is where I am at now.

5 Likes

Maybe try reading books? I liked “This Naked Mind” from Annie Grace a lot, it was a real game changer! Also “The Alcohol Experiment” (also from Annie Grace) was a great way to start (it’s like a 30-day sober trial, where she guides you with a daily chapter)
I haven’t read Allen Carr, but his book seems to be very effective on quitting alcohol. Some of the content from Annie Grace’s books are taken from Allen Carr.

5 Likes

If I were you I would get to rehab so that you can safely detox and get a solid plan for recovery in place. This addiction absolutely will kill you if you don’t take drastic measures and are willing to do whatever it takes to get sober.

6 Likes

This is me trying some constructive criticism… You’ve been asking questions since October 2020,Have you acted on the answers yet?
like you I went round in circles for years, I tried everything I wanted to do to stop. Eventually I had to do the things I didn’t want to do to stop. Break the chain and feel the pain, I had to break before I could be fixed but it looks to me like you prefer taking the easy option. Stop being so selfish and be prepared for some discomfort and plenty of acceptance.
On a lighter note, All any of us can do is our best so as long as you carry on trying then one day it might just stick.

4 Likes

I don’t find this helpful at all. So, because I’ve posted questions here since 2020 I should be good now? And not need any more help or support? Or because I posted again/am struggling I deserve name-calling? Wow. Interesting idea on how to support someone. Noted that 1: I am doing it wrong, 2: I have posted questions long enough and should stop now. 3: Am selfish and somehow don’t belong posting (in the relapse topic no less.)

Thank you for your support and help. Lol

2 Likes

yep I was also deeply offended when told the same but one day I started to take recovery seriously and found out they were right, I hope one day you find the truth but until then do the bit of the post you didn’t react to… keep trying and do your best.

3 Likes

“constructive criticism…”

“Have you acted on the answers yet?”

3 Likes

What he said may of seemed very harsh to you yet Paul did speak unsugarcoated words of truth. When I first got clean it was the things that offended me or hurt me the most that I really needed to pay attention to. I wasn’t someone who could be loved into recovery with kindness and gentleness. No, I needed to be slapped upside the head with direct honesty.

1. You were doing it wrong. You are still drinking. That’s okay though. Very few of us walked in here doing it right and getting sober immediately.

2. No one said you have asked too many questions. He asked if you have taken the answers and applied any of the suggestions to your attempts to get sober. He never said to stop asking for help but he did say it was time to buckle down and get some serious work in.

3. I’m not sure the word selfish is correct. I think afraid might fit better. Don’t be so fearful of what you will go through both physically and emotionally to get sober. It will get better.

I’m grateful you are still coming back. I’m grateful you are still reaching out for help. I’m so hopeful that soon you will stretch yourself past that first moment of being uncomfortable and realize living sober is worth all the work.

4 Likes

The last person I called selfish thought I was a complete c£&t, they told me 2 years later after being sober from that point on. I apologise to you for trying the same approach but I will not apologise for trying to help.

3 Likes

A good addition to “This Naked Mind” is “Alcohol Explained” 1+2.

3 Likes

I’m about mid way through this naked mind. I really like it.

2 Likes

Only thing thats worked for me (your question ) is AA meetings and the 12 step program has done for a few decades now , but im sure there are plenty of other programs out there if you look for them , as for AA being super negative then can you say why ? lots of sponsors and everyone let you done thats sad , but as i said plenty of programs and ways of keeping sober out there i wish you well

1 Like

Thanks - I am reading Alcohol Explained and I really like it. I’m enjoying all the facts and it is really helping make a lot of things make sense! So far the biggest thing has been realizing why there’s a disconnect between the negative side affects and anxiety and wanting to do it again, and also how indulging in the mental “craving” amplifies the addiction. I’m about a quarter of the way in. I have a couple other books too.

3 Likes

Thats good let us know how you get on wish you well