Day #10, when does it get easier?

I cry every single day, whether it be due to hating myself for how I lived the past year when I look at my 16 month old, or it being due to me missing the lifestyle, and not understanding why I do, I cry. I feel like a mess. I hate it, I loved it, I miss it. When will this everlasting feeling in my chest go away?

1 Like

It goes away when you face it head on. You have every right to feel the way you do and there is adjustment for sure. But when you feel bad, name the feeling. Decide what it is, why it’s there, does it make sense.

Give yourself the space and quiet to sort it all out. Nothing worth having comes easy.

Your DOC was altering your brain chemistry when you used. It is going to take awhile for your system to rebuild, and re-wire. Your entire body is going to go through a lot of changes as it rids itself of the toxins you were putting into it, and re-learns how to function post using. Therapy, and AA/NA are both helpful in trying to sort those feelings out.

You didn’t get to the point you are over night, and unfortunately, you aren’t going to get better overnight either. There’s a lot that goes into living a fulfilling sober life, and you will have to do some work. Come here and post feelings, read stories, ask questions. Find a support system.

6 Likes

Can’t say any better than what @Sober_Ninja has said.
But can totally agree with what they are saying.
It’s going to need constant work. For a while yet.
One of the first things I did was change the way I view Alcohol in my life. I convinced myself that I don’t need it anymore to have fun and enjoy life.
It’s not easy, obviously, because I’ve spent the last 30 odd years having it central to my everyday life.
You are effectively breaking up with alcohol. And like any relationship split, there will be a time of grief. And just like any relationship grief, you gotta work through it. Which can be painful.

3 Likes

Hi i can really relate to your post I was a sobbing mess for the first 60 days ! But I’ve learned it was my body and mind getting used to the changes going on . It’s really worth the tears cos once u get through the hard bit life definitely becomes better. Please keep reading and reaching out. We’re all here to help eachother along the road to recovery x

2 Likes