Day 12, tired & irritated

I’m on day number 12, and have actually been doing pretty well. But today I’m feeling extra irritable and extremely fatigued. I started the keto diet on Sunday, so that’s probably contributing, because I’ve been very strict about having less than 20 carbs per day. I got pretty stressed out at work today and almost snapped a couple times but was able to rein it in & not lose my job. I’m glad that I was able to come home, veg out on the couch, and read all your stories. It has really helped me get through a Rotten Day. As a result, I will not drink tonight when I really want to. Instead I’m enjoying a raspberry lime seltzer and an old rerun of Family Guy. Thanks everyone & have a great night!

12 Likes

Days like that happen to everyone, even normal people! Lol, we always want to contribute it to something. But guess what, everyone just has shitty days. Not to say nothing else contributed to it, don’t get me wrong.

I know in early sobriety I always wanted a reason why I felt like that… I quit drinking!!! Sometimes the universe just thinks you need a shitty day.

Keep fighting, and keep that chin-up!

4 Likes

Not sure how long or much you drank, but props on quitting and starting Keto within 2 weeks, you’re a brave soul!

A lot of what you’re feeling could be attributed to both alcohol withdrawal and diet change.

Power through, stick with it! You got this!

3 Likes

I myself decided to stop drinking cold turkey and it was hard but I also decided to take things one step at a time. I started to eat on a more healthy basis about 4 weeks after stopping. I didnt want to shock my system or whatever. I also slowly got back into exercising. I really wanted to separate these things so I wouldn’t lose my mind…like getting irritated and all that crap that goes along with quiting. Day 56 for me and so far so good, anxiety is barely creeping around so yeah. Keep it up and please dont give up!!!

4 Likes

Yes i tried keto and it knocks it out of you.
Take magnesium supplements before bed because keto can distrupt sleep. I used to have one bite of a banana before bed. Which wouldnt break keto but some reason helped me sleep.
Why dont you try intermittent fasting aswell so you dont have to be as strict with carbs can go to 50 grsms a day. Please lwt us know how it goes. Im considering goimg keto again.
My favorite meal was baked cauliflower and steak with garlic and butter. Good luck

2 Likes

I think maybe leave keto till a bit later in sobriety? And focus on not drinking first… Seems like a lot to take on at once?

As someone recovered from bulimia, I avoid all diets but I realise that’s only my particular situation. Any diet that discourages fruit is a bit whack in my opinion.

But youre doing amazing with not drinking. Don’t be too hard on yourself - there’s a lot of ups and downs. X

3 Likes

You probably have Keto flu. Lasted 2 weeks for me

1 Like

I am tired, but eating keto actually helps with my cravings because I know I can’t have carbs and wine is nothing but carbs. However, having a crappy day is a trigger no matter what I’m eating! Thx everyone for the support & advice. Feeling better this morning! :heart::heart::heart:

1 Like

Congrats on day twelve! Like some of the othe replies here, I recommend focusing on one issue at a time. I went six months into sobriety before I addressed my diet and exercise. I don’t think I would have made it if I made a drastic diet change when I first stopped drinking. One thing at a time, Rome wasn’t built in a day… I needed to build of my sober muscles and did that in part by being gentle with myself in other areas. Too much sudden deprivation would have killed my resolve on both areas pretty quickly.

2 Likes

I’ve done the Keto diet and it’s pretty hard going, personally I wouldn’t quit alcohol and commit to a diet like Keto so soon BUT if you feel you can manage then then good luck to you x

1 Like

Got to work this morning & they were making pancake breakfast for the whole unit, so there goes my keto diet! Oh well… focusing on my sobriety which is my #1 priority… will try keto again later

I too had pancakes today. As well as this prayer.

Third Step Prayer. God, I offer myself to Thee – to build with me and to do with me as Thou wilt. Relieve me of the bondage of self, that I may better do Thy will. Take away my difficulties, that victory over them may bear witness to those I would help of Thy Power, Thy Love, and Thy Way of Life.

1 Like

I have friends who have had great success with keto but it really wasn’t for me. Enjoy being sober with all the great food you’ll remember eating! Ps just from not binge drinking every day, and buying a gym pass I’ve lost way more weight than I ever did on keto!

1 Like