Day 14, lack of energy and motivation 😴

Hi all, I’m Katie and have been sober from opiates for 2 weeks! I’m still dealing with restless leg syndrome at night but the thing I’m struggling the most with is lack of energy and motivation. I just feel exhausted and it’s been extremely difficult to get through my work days which are pretty physical. I can’t take time off from work unfortunately. Any advice on how long this will last? I’m struggling :weary:

6 Likes

I had no energy the first month and all I did was work and sleep. It slowly started to increase during the 2nd month when I incorporated excercise into my daily routine. I probably would have had a better 1st month if I started exercising earlier.

4 Likes

Hi Katie, the start is always rough :sweat: have you tried magnesium for your restless legs? I have an oil with magnesium in it that I got from the chemist and I rub it directly on my legs and it stops the restless legs (I now get them when I’ve exercised that day). Helping that might help you sleep better and have more energy the next day. Also, a vitamin B complex could help give you an energy boost

2 Likes

Thanks! I will definitely take your recommendations. I just want to feel better, but I know it’s a long road ahead.

2 Likes

Keep us updated! Yes it can be a long road but its damn well worth it. And so are you! Congratulations on your 2 weeks aswell :tada:

1 Like

When I was in detox I had the restless leg thing at night and they gave me bananas and it helped . Maybe it’s the potassium. I have 4 months sober and I felt tired for maybe the first month but my thing was liquor. I think whatever we do it just takes time for the body to adjust. I noticed that riding my bike has helped with energy a lot and just eating better . Not drinking to much coffee . Just hang in there and be surrounded by people that are also getting sober . You got this !!:grinning:

1 Like

Hello there
Congrats on your first two weeks
You got through the hardest part. It will take some time for it to go away. It’s totally worth it all though. Your body is craving the opiates, I know I have been on opiates and heroin for the last 12 years. It only gets better. I highly recommend exercise and a change in your diet with more fruits and vegetables, it all really helps out big time. Plus it will help you be more mentally tired so when you get to sleep you actually rest and will be able to get good night sleep.
Good luck with everything, you can do it!

4 Likes

I know it feels like you have no energy but you really are on the line, where you should start to feel better hopefully, oh the beauty of opiods withdrawal is that you will be lacking dophamine and that plays a role in how we feel pleasure!

Try a bit of mindfulness, meditation and breathing excercises. Your brain needs new pathways as before its pathways for thoughts and behaviour were supporting the drug use.

You need to sleep i remember needing the energy so i would force caffiene in me, where you can try to avoid it and find a cut off point!
Regular down time.

EAT, a goid balanced diet avoid your processed stuff and hidden sugar food it releases energy and a nice drop which would make me crave more sugary foods and then a lack of energy.

Stretch and walking gently ease yoirself into doing more i had that cronic not so nice mood but i found even a steady walk round my block helped my mood was dam hard to argue with you to do it!

It really will get better, you will have that natural energy instead of what we falsely tricked our brains into using opiods for = the energy for my day.
I would d remind myself that soon i’ll be free of those excessive thoughts of wanting!
Remember you’ve got this far you can make the next 24hrs.

3 Likes

Thank you everyone! I’m struggling physically with work like never before. Getting through my work day is so exhausting and the pain I’m now feeling is so much worse :disappointed:. I know it will get better eventually. One day at a time. :pray:

3 Likes