Day 15 not coping well

I’m on day 15 and I’m consumed by negative thoughts …I’m not good enough, I’ve wasted my life, I’ve got no friends left etc etc. The good thing is I don’t feel like drinking and I can be honest about how I’m feeling without drinking. I just wish I knew how to get out of this mindset.

5 Likes

First congratulations on 15 days! It’s so strange that you are posting this today. I was just talking to my husband about his negative thought cycle he is in. I’m not sure how to help but I did read that when we are in a negative pattern we are only looking for the bad things that are going on around us. It said we need to look for some positive things. Here are a few I see about you.
You are sober
You reached out for help
You have decided to make a better life for yourself
Hope your day gets brighter. I’m glad your here

7 Likes

Thanks for your reply and just as you said I’m posting. Although it’s in the form of complaining (mostly) I am still “trying to engage with people”.

It’s too easy to do nothing then complain that nothing is working!

4 Likes

Negative thought are easy to come by and most people would love to add to your thought with their negative thoughts. :face_with_raised_eyebrow:
Postive thoughts are finally coming easier to me.
This is some of what I’ve tried.
Every night before bed I thank my higher power and every morning I try to say one or two things I am grateful for.
Yoga
Meditation
Deep breathing
Getting out in nature
It’s working it just took some time and effort.

2 Likes

Oh and I’m taking a B complex vitamin as well as multivitamin and vitamin D. They seem to help my mood as well

3 Likes

Congrats on 15 days…that is a big deal. The negative thoughts will go, a byproduct of the poison we put in our body. A program really helped me. AA, SMART, or something like that might help.

3 Likes

Thank you. I can’t go to meetings in the town im in because of my work hours. I’ve decided to move back to the city though where I can have more of a life and work a program too

3 Likes

What helps me is the quote:

2 Likes

Thanks guys, im feeling much better now. I think my hormones are out of whack and that’s why I’m getting edgy.

2 Likes

Those sound like statements about the past and about the future. I do much better when I stuck in the now, the now, the now

What action can I take right at this moment, particularly one that will benefit someone else? Can I meditate right now, do a body scan to relax myself, identity my emotions and thoughts as temporary?

Here’s a quote that helps me.

“Get busy living, or get busy dying.”

Red Redding, in The Shawshank Redemption.

1 Like