#day 2...a little about me

Thanks so much to everyone that reached out yesterday offering me some support. I made it to day two, still a little jittery, but slept awesome (in till my little lad got me up at 4) and feeling focused.
I spent most of yesterday reading through everyone’s posts and I feel so relieved reading through so many relatable stories. It feels like joining this group is a huge step forward and exactly what I needed. You are all so inspiring and wonderful people and in just 24 hours have helped me so much, facing up to truths I’ve hidden from for too long.
A little about me…here goes…:disappointed_relieved::grimacing: I’m 36 and have been drinking since 13/14. MY drug of choice is cider but I will drink any and everything going in till it’s all gone. I’ve taken steps before to stop drinking and have done two years sober in 2011. But always seem to find an excuse for “just one drink” and that one drink for me and up a week of drinking morning noon and night in till I’m so physically sick my body just can’t take anymore. MY excuses range from “I’ve been so good not drinking for a month so I’ll celebrate” to recently losing my mum from alcoholism, I must be crazy right to think the answer to that lies at the bottom of the can!!
I have an 18 month old boy, he is the most precious thing in my world and I can not do this to him anymore, he deserves a healthy sober role model! So here I am, putting my story out there, which is a huge huge step for me through all the shame and regret but I feel like my mindset is shifting and I am willing to make the changes now to lead a sober life. Thanks for reading :blush: xx

15 Likes

This is a great app. And every day checking in here helps so much. I often read a lot on here. Well done on day 2. Every time you have the urge come here! There is always someone to talk to and even if there isn’t immediately someone that replies it helps just to write down your thoughts or fears. During this time the urge disappears and you are busy with something else in your brain…
Wishing you a great day!

1 Like

Thank you Sunshinegirl. I will be checking in regularly believe you me. Wishing you a great day too xx

Congrats on the first steps of your journey. I am checking 2 times a day on the app and reading lots about alcohol. This has made a HUGE difference this time for me. Keep at it :heart:

1 Like

Thank you and you :heart::two_hearts:

Welcome! My advice would be not to do this alone, you have the TS community but also get as much help and support as you can via your GP. Mine was fantastic, got me on anxiety medication and I had CBT counselling which literally changed my life! :grin::kissing_heart:

3 Likes

Yes good shout thank you. So glad CBT has been helpful for you I have dipped in and out over the years and always found it helpful. :grinning::+1:

Welcome! 🙋
Be here every day helps me a lot! It’s my program. I also have a sober plan. I recomment to make one your own. It really helps to overthink what to do when you get cravings.
I share mine, so you understand what I mean:

• No alcohol in my house
  • Refrigerator filled with nice food and alc. free drinks
  • Telling my spouse about my sober plan
  • Avoid alcohol related activities and friends (at least in the beginning)
  • Having a day counter
  • Avoid wine/beer section in the supermarket and avoid liquor store
  • Taking a strong vitamine B complex
  • Taking melatonin to help me sleep
  • Be gentle to myself, like go to bed early, taking a long bath, etc.
  • Doing relaxing activaties like meditate, yoga, walking, etc.
  • When I have cravings: I don’t pick up that first one but I walk, run, work out, eat chocolat, watch Netflix, clean, study, whatever.
  • Ask for help when I need it.
  • Be here every day to read and check in sober.

That’s my plan and I stick to it. It helps me to get were I am today: 250 days sober.
You can do it too!! :heart:

3 Likes

Thank you for the words of wisdom, congrats on your 250 days that’s amazing and I can’t wait to be where you are and be able to add my own words of wisdom for newbies :heart:

Am going to right my sobriaty plan this weekend and have it up on the wall for everyone to see, especially my hubby!

Thank you nice to meet you x

3 Likes

Cognitive behavioural therapy hun, it like a really practical form of therapy as apposed to talking therapy

1 Like

CBT is a type of therapy that works to change your thinking and gives practical exercises that can be used for the future. It builds your positivity and teaches you how to think positively to cope with situations .

2 Likes

Your therapist sounds good, good that you shopped around a bit. I think all therapys have a place for different people at different times in thier lives.
Great sober Saturday here thanks, how about you? Xx

1 Like

Doesn’t sound feeble, sounds like a Great plan, you do whatever you need to do. Look forward to hearing how you’ve got on when you get back, take yourself :kissing_heart::two_hearts:

1 Like

Don’t go dark for too long…and if dark starts to become the wrong kind of dark remember we are here :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Well we all have some shame and regret in relation to our addiction but making positive steps towards sobriety also gives you a reason to start feeling better about yourself right? That’s my way of thinking anyway…

Yeah the ‘JUST one drink’ thing has got me a few times too sadly. I wrote a list of all of my typical excuses like 'I am too depressed to get sober…‘One won’t hurt…’ and I wrote challenging responses to them , like - the depression wont last forever and you will be proud once you get through it. I am using this list whenever my addictive mind is trying to dominate :slight_smile:

I’m starting to realize that now, that I’m not alone in my feelings having been here a few days, felt like I was the only one in the world before I opened yup to you guys. And yeah making positive steps forward feels great and helps dissolve the self hatred I have been feeling.

Your list sounds great I will be doing me some of that! Thank you and lovely to meet you :heart:

Yeah. Meeting others that you can relate to is a massive help in getting sober and feeling better, for sure. I agree.

No magic pill, but CBT helped me learn how to make my anxiety and the reason I drank was severe anxiety, drinking helped numb it but ultimately made it much worse #hangxiety.

2 Likes

Hangxiety is the worst!!!

I love CBT

1 Like