Day 2 check in. Anxiety

I received such and amazing response yesterday to my first day sober post it brought me to tears. I am starting my second day sober and my first day of work since the change. I’m feeling anxious. I know the best thing for it is exercise (for me at least). Does anyone have any other techniques for dealing with these feelings?

4 Likes

I think, as this particular subsection of humans, we try not to feel our feelings very much. Remember that it’s okay to have negative emotions and that they will pass

2 Likes

5bebcf4adde0985e65315c50d88e93d6|500x500
This silly little quote has helped me tremendously at work the last week, lots of changes making everyone unsettled. But refusing to milk my emotions is very important for my recovery.

2 Likes

I do love that thank you. After a weird morning that had me close to pissed off- reading that quote actually helped. :+1::+1:

1 Like

Well done on getting to day 2.
I’m only on day one but have gone long periods before without drinking. The anxiety always hits me hard in the first week too!

I find it helps to be nice to myself in every other area of my life. If I want some chocolate, I’m having it! If I feel like ‘wasting’ a night and binging Netflix, I’m doing it!

Its such a big undertaking that I try really hard not to beat myself up in any other area of my life. I find that helps keep the anxiety down.

1 Like

The other thing I try to do is just think about not drinking today. If i think about never drinking again the anxiety goes off the charts!

1 Like

I have Generalized Anxiety Disorder that I tried to treat with booze (which actually makes it worse well done me). Blithe_Oddity is completely right. It will pass, it will get better. When I get anxious these days I do everything I can to stick to my proper schedule i.e. don’t miss work, get up on time, go and meet friends when I have agreed to meet friends. This is because I know in the long term, when I take time away its gets harder to get back into the swing of things.

Healthy tactics I try for anxiety now:

• as healthy diet as possible, fruit, veg, protein, not too much sugar. B12, zinc, iron magnesium supplements. Remember sugar can mess up your stress response, so low sugar is good.
  • keep to the best possible sleep schedule, i.e. same bed time and waking time as much as you can, sleeping for 7-9 hours per night, whatever is right for you
  • exercise- I’m rubbish at this but I go for beach walks whenever I can
  • keep in touch with people- meet up with a friend for a coffee etc- community is important and talking to people often puts anxieties into perspective.
  • be kind to yourself. Don’t expect to be getting through a massive to-do list, especially early in your recovery. If you need to rest, rest.
2 Likes

Also, well done for getting to day 2. You’ve👏 got👏 this👏. Xxx

1 Like

Thank you I appreciate it and I’m trying not to beat myself up either. Accepting what’s happened in the past and moving forward

1 Like

I drank for the same reason and the rebound anxiety is just that much worse. Thanks for all the ideas!!

1 Like