Day 2 here, sans wine

I have no idea how to deal with the lack of falling asleep. I had restless legs and tossed and turned all night. I honestly don’t remember the last time I didn’t have wine to put me to bed, so I need hellllppp.

2 Likes

Welcome to TS! If you use the search function at the top of the forum you can search for info and advice others have posted on sleep issues, sleep aids etc.

There’s already a ton of good info on here so you should be able to find everything you need quickly :+1: Congrats on 2 days!

I personally use melatonin if I really have trouble falling asleep. Eventually the issues with falling asleep self corrected once I had been sober for a few months so just stick with it!

1 Like

Thank you. This is going to be so hard!!! But, I’m ready. It’s time.

1 Like

Welcome Moonshadow! The early days are hard as your body re-sets. Lots of water, take vitamins, and feel free to eat or drink whatever non alcoholic stuff you want. Eventually your body will settle; for the moment it is purging.

There’s a million threads here about sleep. Search “sleep” in the magnifying glass above & you’ll find some. This one by Sassy has some good links to meditations, which at least give you something peaceful to listen to:

Take care & keep checking in :innocent:

1 Like

While it is not a long term solution, maybe get some sleep aid from the pharmacy to help get your sleeping pattern back in check??

Talk to your pharmacist to find out what is suitable and non addictive. You can get proper ones (ie non herbal ones) over the counter.

2 Likes

I count backwards from 100 to fall asleep. Seems silly, but it works for me most of the time. I’ve actually been sleeping too much, almost 12 hours a nite.

1 Like

I am so sorry that you are suffering. I promise you though, that this will be worth it. :purple_heart:

I don’t know if this will help, as i had restless legs due to heroin withdrawal which a very different substance, but I took hot baths all the time, they helped a lot. I drank and still do drink valerian tea, which helps with anxiety and insomnia. Deep breathing exercises can help over time with things like anxiety, pain, and insomnia. Let’s see…

I dont know how well you are feeling right now, but if you can maybe you could do some light yoga before bed? Or even a walk around the block. I try to do both every day as i have chronic insomnia, it helps a lot. Also, i read that vitamin B6 and B12 can help with serotonin production, which could help as well.

2 Likes

Thank you soooo much!!! I truly appreciate this all. :purple_heart:

I use melatonin like @Nordique . It also doesn’t make me feel rough the next day like some sleeping medications.

2 Likes