Day 2. I’m 23

So I just had a co worker come in and tell me why am I taking a break from alcohol that I’m too young to be worrying about it so much. It’s so frustrating because now I’m giving myself so many excuses! I was never a everyday drinker but I was to the point I was going to the bar by myself a couple times a week and drinking behind my bfs back at home but ugh it’s only day 2 and had the worst day ever and just feel so drained from my thoughts :sweat: I’m in need of encouragement

13 Likes

Welcome!!! Just the other a day I was at a meeting and the young lady chairing was aged 20 with two years of sobriety. It was AMAZING and inspirational. You are never too young to improve your life. I bet anyone here would say “I wish I had made this decision sooner”. Keep it up :bird:

8 Likes

Hi Nikki! I’m glad you’re here!
Drinking is one of those things that tends to progress. So if you’re finding it problematic now, and you are doing things like hiding your drinking, and you don’t take steps to address it, it could likely escalate.

This. So much this!

4 Likes

Wish I had the wisdom, insight and guts to do 30 years ago what you are doing now at 23 Nikki! Welcome here , you made a great decision to be sober. Keep going, it will get so much better.

2 Likes

Welcome to the forum Nikki. I look at it this way, I was so stupid it took me 30 years to stop using. Quitting now, no matter how young you are is the smartest thing you’ll ever do. We’re here for you. When you get the urge to drink, are having a bad day or just want someone to talk to that understands where you’re coming from, let us know. NEVER CRAVE ALONE. We’re all in this together

8 Likes

This means so much to me thank you!! I’m just always afraid of these craving but I’m so happy I have somewhere to go to with them! THANK YOU

2 Likes

Exactly why I know it was a problem and why I decided to go sober! I just love to give myself excusesike that one :roll_eyes: but you gave me the information I needed to hear thank you sm! :black_heart:

3 Likes

Hang in there… i was 22 when i first attempted sobriety :upside_down_face:
Best decision ive ever made :heart:

3 Likes

That coworker is perpetuating that bullshit notion that in order to be alcoholic, you must fit that stereotypical image of being 40+, poor and/or homeless, unemployed, dirty, drunk all the time, etc.

Of course, that image is simply not true. Even those who do fit that stereotype, guess what? They weren’t always like that. They just weren’t lucky enough to catch their problem early on, like you. Consider it a blessing that you’ve made this decision for yourself at a young age.

This coming from a person (me) who knew he had a problem at 22-23, but didn’t do anything about it until 25 and then no lasting sobriety until age 30 (now). Currently at 14.5 months.

Welcome aboard!

5 Likes

Love that! :pleading_face: that gives me courage to keep trying

1 Like

Yes I agree and I knew that in the back of my head that wasn’t true! If I brought myself to make the decision to stay sober, it was a problem. But Wow more then a year! That’s so encouraging thank you. I can’t wait to know what that feels like.

1 Like

If believe that you have a problem, then you have a problem. Alcoholism and Abuse can happen at any age. You do you.

1 Like

Very right. Congratulations to you for making such a great choice for yourself and grabbing your life by the horns :blush:

Thank you…and you will, if you work at it. The year rolls around pretty quick, believe it or not. I recommend checking into this forum daily, it has helped me a lot and I’ve made some amazing connections here. So much advice and support, hope it can do the same for you.

Best of luck, and see you around!

1 Like

I am 24. I was an alcoholic but I didn’t have the strength or willingness to admit to myself I have a problem before I eventually picked up heroin. I was only 22 when I first checked myself into a treatment facility. I was absolutely broken and emotionally bankrupt not to mention the physical tell of withdrawals coursing through my weak skinny body. Only 22 years old. Still a kid in a lot of ways. Addiction does not discriminate by age, race, culture, education, or anything. It is out to kill us and it kills people everyday. If you believe yourself to be an addict, then you are. Period. And you need to take it seriously because it is life or death. My age feeds my addictive thinking by saying “You’re still young, you can’t get sober at 24” I was wrong. Sobriety thrives on Recovery. This is your light at the end of the tunnel. I am 21 days clean today and I am grateful to be alive, I have clear thoughts, I put myself first, I focus on taking each next best action, and I still take it one day at a time. It’s cliche because it works. But please understand, I am still sick. Physically I am fine, but I still have a monster in my head telling me I can do the drugs even when I know that I can’t because they make my life entirely too unmanageable. Step 1 of Recovery is to admit that we are powerless over drugs and alcohol. Then, and only then can we become absolutely willing to do WHATEVER it takes to stay sober… ie. Cutting out family and friends that aren’t healthy and supportive of recovery, moving to a new place that is different than where we used, ending toxic relationships, finding and perusing a new group of sober support and maintaining that network, working through the steps of Recovery programs, and being absolutely painfully honest with others and ourselves. All of this is uncomfortable to us now that we are sober. We are not numb anymore and have been for years. But don’t forget, it does get better. It works if you work it. Rule of thumb is to give recovery all the efforts that you once gave using and more. Recovery is not a chore. It’s an opportunity to have a life. It’s not all sunshine and rainbows but it definitely is more beautiful on the “other side”. Stick this out. I promise you won’t be disappointed. I have found that when you do good things, good things happen to you. I care about you and you are worth it. You will come out of this a stronger person. You are stronger than you think you are. And I will love you unconditionally until you can learn to love yourself. And that’s because my name’s Brit and I’m an addict.

8 Likes

I wish I had the brains to quit when I was your age! It would have saved me a lot of problems.

The person who is giving you a hard time is not a friend. Friends are supportive and want what’s best for you. Distance yourself from negative people that do not have your best interests at heart.

Keep it up! You can do it.

3 Likes

Welcome Brit! And thank you for that excellent post.
I am glad you are here!!

2 Likes

If you think you have a problem then you do. Please don’t listen to others - it keeps you stuck. I know when I have told friends in the past I think I need to stop they so oh no you are fine! But I wasn’t and they didn’t know the extent. The hold it has on me. I’m 44 and have had a problem since I was 15. And it progresses and gets worse. I thought once I was an “adult” and had children i’d stop my party girl ways. I didn’t. I’m at the point now where I’m not sure who I am without it. It’s destroyed friendships. I’m not talking to my family after recently getting blind (again) at a family function and i’m over it controlling me. You are doing a great thing. Sneaking to a bar on your own to drink is not normal. Me carrying around minis of vodka in my handbag because I find it comforting in case I need it is not normal. The secrets get exhausting. The lies. The hiding bottles. The stress if you know you will be somewhere and it will be hard to get (cue minis). I am an intelligent woman and it has ruled my life for so long! Please don’t let it rule yours for another 20 years before you realise it’s hurting you. I’m day 3 - we can do it :blue_heart:

4 Likes

Hi @NikkiMoon welcome to the forum! As others have said… This is a great place to be. We are all at different points in our journey but one common thread binds us all together we ALL are sober and kicking ass! The people here will not steer you wrong. Come back often, read, post and gain knowledge. Im 9 days in now, I’ve been a member of TS for 2 years and change. I took a break thought a could “drink normally” that didn’t happen. So I came back, I strung together 10 days and slipped at a wedding. Now I’m back FOR GOOD. I’ll tell you something all the folks here welcomed me back with open arms. They cheer you accomplishments and triumphs. You’re in good hands. Remember, we ALL have your back! Best of luck on your journey.

2 Likes

I’m happy you’re still killing it! Great job Kate!

Good on you for reaching out for support.

Anyone at any age can have any number of problems. If it’s a problem for you then it doesn’t matter the opinions of others.

I wish I had gotten sober at 23. Maybe I wouldn’t have dated those ass holes, maybe I would have started a savings account, maybe I would have finished college, had a better job, had better relationships with friends and family, maybe I would have paid more attention to my son, or I wouldn’t have crashed my car, or gotten that DUI, ate all those pills that one time, or broken my arm. I could have been in a hell of a lot better place than where I was for way too long.

You should do what feels best for you. There’s never a wrong age to make your life the best that you can make it.

1 Like