Day 3 anxiety help?

I have been sober (alcohol) for three days. Any advice on dealing with the anxiety? Mine has been off the charts.

4 Likes

Hi :raising_hand_woman: welcome, its lovely of you to join us here.
Congratulations on your 3 days.

Anxiety is not nice i suffer with this too.
In the early stages of abstinence Anxiety can become heightened snd more sensitive, from my experience speaking with a health professional was the help i needed and it wasnt bad how i imagined it would be it was very supportive.

I also drink chamomile tea in the evening and it does work, if im running around busy and drink it i dont see much difference but if i take time to do some breathing exercises and get comfy and drink it i definitely see my anxiety decreases and it also helps with sleep.
This community is so supportive and im glad your here. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

The early days are a rollercoaster, emotionally. At the same time it’s worth visiting a medical professional (doctor or psychiatrist) to see if there’s any underlying cause.

In terms of personal anxiety tips there’s lots and lots of threads about it (search “anxiety” above and you’ll find them). Here’s one:

Take care and don’t give up. Take it one day at a time and come on here to reach out for support when you need it. There’s almost always someone around :innocent:

1 Like

For me I had to keep myself busy. I did all sorts of things to keep my mind occupied. Reading walks, games, workouts, visits with friends and more. It got easier each day. My anxiety was always bad but when I first quit it was off the charts.

1 Like

It’s going to happen. The important thing for me is reminding myself of the definition for anxiety.
Worrying about something that hasn’t happened yet…
I’ve lived with anxiety for so long now I can just acknowledge it as another emotion and label it, it takes a lot of practice to be able to just exist with that horible anxious feeling but anything is worth a shot.
Keep going you’re getting stronger without knowing it.

1 Like

Ever tried breathing exercizes ore meditation?
You can find them on the free app: insight timer.