Day 3, homeless sobriety

Admittedly, it’s easier to stay sober, when I’m broke, and snowed in at a sober friend’s house. I’m unemployed so cash is hard to come by. But I do get services that supply me with a small amount of $ that I’m insesintly thinking about right now. Im afraid I won’t be able to keep control. I’m thinking of going today as that $ also gets my bath stuff. I’ve been drinking almost daily report ntil 3 days ago. I spent my last $10 and barley made it back to a safe space as the snow came down. I want change. I know staying sober is the only way to climb out of this darkness. Any success stories of coming out of homelessness and into a sober life with a home, a job, and relationships? Stay strong to those who relate.love & light.

3 Likes

Check out @Englishd post. He went from successful lawyer, to homeless bottom dwelling crack addict, back to being a productive citizen again with purpose.

6 Likes

AA meetings are free. They have them online and over the phone also. The unknown is scary, so we don’t change until our current situation becomes more scary than the unknown.

3 Likes

Also heroin and booze. Don’t short change me brother lol. I will try to post more later but I have to go back to my amazing Florida vacation that only sobriety can give me. God is good.

10 Likes

This sounds interesting. Where can I find the post??

I just share my story in bits and pieces. But in a matter of weeks I went from a very well paying attorney job to homeless. It was quite the ride.

Wow. That’s quite a contrast. Must have been a really shocking experience for you. How did you manage that if you don’t mind my asking?

A lot of heroin and crack. I was using around $1500 a week there for a while. Ended up on rehab 3 times. Homeless a few times and otherwise miserable. Right now I’m chilling in Florida with my amazing family on a vacation that my girlfriend (also in recovery) and I paid for.

3 Likes

I am glad you seem to be enjoying your time now.
Did you get back in to law ?

Nope. I’m in public health/addiction services. I might get back in to law eventually but I really don’t see a point in doing it now.

2 Likes

Hey! Chiming in to say that I used to be homeless. I was in active addiction then…and stayed in active addiction even once I got a place to stay. But I’m happy to say in the span of 6 years I went from being homeless, drinking about 1.5liters of wine a night average, smoking, doing the drugs I could get for free or cheap and passing out in my own puke on the regular to renting my own beautiful old house, owning my own school and being intellectually, emotionally and artistically satiated doing everything I love. Life is better sober period. I love my fucking life.

13 Likes

Oh that it’s truly inspirational. Thanks for sharing :heart::heart::heart:

1 Like

Nice work.

My first few months were spent homeless. I was staying at a homeless shelter in Lexington at the time. New to the city, I knew nobody. No money and no food. I went to 5 or 6 meetings a day. Though I wanted sobriety, I really needed warmth and food. That has a lot to do with all of the meetings I was attending at the time. But when you really want it something burns bright in you that others can see. Wasn’t long before I was told about a sober living house that I moved into. A few weeks later someone in a meeting offered me a job helping out in his handyman business. The promises absolutely do come true, we just have to put the work in. Good luck and remember take it one day at a time . Your worth it

2 Likes