Day 3 of not drinking, kind of anxious any advice?

So I had no idea that coming off of alcohol my anxiety is through the roof. I am drinking tea and trying to meditate but I know I am still in the first stages. I am trying not to give up but it’s hard. Any advice out there? What did you guys do to help combat the anxiety?

8 Likes

One minute at a time. It might not feel like it, but you’re in control! You can do this :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I don’t have any advice but I am also currently suffering from extreme anxiety that I attribute to not drinking for two straight days. I just posted about it & received very helpful feedback but idk how to share posts or quotes :frowning: I called the post I need a reminder Good Luck & you’re not alone if that helps.

1 Like

Here’s the link to that thread :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Hey thanks @Nordique ! I felt like there was some really relevant advice in the replies.

1 Like

No problem! I agree :+1:

Exercise , clean, cook, walk, run, dance. DO anything to distract yourself & burn that energy

1 Like

I am on day 3 as well and feeling the same way. I had night time tea and took some melatonin. Stil laying here hours later. I feel like I can’t unwind.

3 Likes

Anything that works. I was a mess (still am 5 months later) but I feel much MUCH better.

Breathing, bathing, blabbing to friends, tv, light excercise, playing on my phone, chess, anything that gets you through. Its going to be uncomfortable at times. I never found a way to make it totally comfortable but just hang on for dear life and keep trucking ahead.

4 Likes

3 hrs later and this is currently me, but im going to do whatever I can to beat this! I didn’t think I had much of a problem but this just confirms why I have to do this.

2 Likes

It appears that alcohol was one of the main causes of my anxiety. Since I have stopped drinking, it has receded to almost nothing. In fact, it is now one of the main reasons that I don’t give in to my alcoholic voice and start drinking again. Life without anxiety is a different ball game.
So stick with it. If you hate anxiety, you’re (hopefully) doing the right thing to get rid of it. It just takes a bit of time.

3 Likes

I do I hate anxiety so much and I will keep trying to go, this shit is hard though I cant lie!! Thanks so much for the encouragement. :heart:

1 Like

I second what @Singtone said…my anxiety used to be almost unbearable before I was sober (even when I wasn’t drinking) so I drank because I thought it would help my anxiety.

It took a couple of weeks but once I stopped drinking my general anxiety went from a 9/10 to like a 2/10.

It will get better, I promise! Just remember it does take some time so stick with it. We’re all here with you.

2 Likes

Thank you! One day at a time :+1:

1 Like

Yes definitely one day, and one moment.

1 Like

This is great advice!! I have lavender essential oils so im thinking to infuse them in a bath with epsom salt. I have also went on Amazon and just purchased adult coloring books and a few books to read to occupy my time. I am drinking this “Stress” tea but not sure all that’s in it but it does calm me. I appreciate the words of encouragement because I seriously need them. I feel the wine and liquor store screaming my name sometimes and Im like wow I was really thinking I didn’t have a problem. So glad I’ve found this place!!

2 Likes

On day three myself. I’ve slept better but my worry/paranoia has hit me a little bit. Hoping it passes with each sober day and it gets easier. My advice (which I’m taking) is try to stick with it. I feel that there’s light at the end of the tunnel.

2 Likes

I used to think that the talk of the third day being the worst day was a load of rubbish, but I’ve had loads of third days over the years now and it’s definitely a bad day that you’ll feel so much better once you get over it. Every person is different of course, and it takes time to find what works for you with the anxiety. All I can say is, there’s some great advice on this thread and others. Hearing how we are all going through a similar journey is a great help. Distraction with anything that you find calms you, that you have fun doing, that makes you laugh is always worth exploring. You’ll find something that works for you, whether that’s meditation, going for a walk, podcasts, taking a bath and switching off from the world for an hour, drawing or the adult colouring books, speaking to friends about anything else (or this). These early stages are tough but you’re doing great.

2 Likes