Day 36ish: I came clean

I told my therapist about my drinking. I finally came clean to Julie. We have had a professional relationship for a year now, I’ve been soul crushingly honest with her in every aspect of my life. Except how much I drank.
We’ve diligently been fighting an uphill battle against my mental health. Each step closer to the top, greeted us with a barrage of landslides. My drinking has progressively gotten worse in the last year, and frankly once I realized how bad I was… I was so far off base and embarrassed.
I’ve been way too hard on myself. In constant disagreement with any self esteem or confidence. It’s one thing to have mental illness pogo-ing around your brain. It’s another to realize that you lost your self control too.
Coming clean to my therapist was harder than telling my parents/close friends. In my odd luck, she’s a certified drug and addiction councilor! And gave me the thumbs up for immediately abstaining, reaching out for help, and beginning SMART.

17 Likes

Well done! It really takes a weight off when you can be completely honest. Now you can start healing. So pleased for you!

2 Likes

It’s a weight lifted when we are honest, I’m so glad that you will help you deserve and hope you find smart helpful, I do smart too and enjoy it

2 Likes

As a therapist, I know it can be hard for my clients to be very honest and straightforward with me but I applaud you for being open and honest. Congrats on this step and I hope your work only gets more beneficial after this

1 Like

Thank you everyone, it’s been an interesting time so far. Sobriety was never really an element in my adult life.

3 Likes