Day 5 and my head is tripping

Day 5 and my head is trying to play the romancing alcohol tape.

I am going to watch a movie and wait for this to pass. Thought I would share because I know the tape is a lie and the truth i seek won’t be found in a bottle. Plus releasing this and connecting with others who understand is awesome.

8 Likes

First of all, 5 days is great and good job on reaching out. :+1:t2:

Play the “reality of drinking” tape. What happens when you drink and what made you want to quit?

4 Likes

I bet that tape is pretty similar to my own, and you know what? The longer you’re sober, the uglier that “romantic” tape will become. :smirk:

4 Likes

Oh yeah! There is a lot of material on that tape. I hear ya!

Hey congratulations on 5 days.
So many good points in your post, I’m so impressed as I’m pretty sure all I knew at 5 days sober was that I was sweating through all my clothes…:blush:
Yes, those romantic thoughts about alcohol are a lie, total bullshit. One of the things I did was write to myself during one of my last hangovers. I wrote about exactly how I was feeling in that moment, how I smelled, what my mouth tasted like, the disgusting things I said to my partner, the excruciating throbbing in different parts of my body. It was so vivid. Reading it now… It’s difficult. It brings me right back to that time and if I’m ever questioning my decision I’ll dig it out and read it again.
Writing about what you hate about alcohol might help to shift some of those “just one glass” or “just a few with dinner, to relax” thoughts. For some reason having everything spelled out in front of me on paper was helpful for me.

But yes, you’re right the feeling will always pass.
And yes, releasing and connecting with people who get it is so helpful. Really glad you’re here and connecting with us.

4 Likes

Good catch!

2 Likes

Congrats on day 5 and reaching out :slight_smile:

I’m also on day 5 and it is definitely a tough one. I had a moment earlier where my mom said something depressing, triggering a reaction in me for the first time these past few days where I was like, I should numb this feeling away with alcohol.

I sat back and remembered that whatever I thought was going to go away or be relaxing about it, was the same lie I told myself all these years. One drink would never be enough, so I would keep going until it wasn’t fun anymore but I had already passed the point of a casual drink and still couldn’t stop.

There is a thread on here that helped me a lot and it’s about ‘what I no longer have to worry about’ and seeing everyone chime in with these awful things that you aren’t thinking about when the urge to drink comes up…it’s a good reminder.

3 Likes