Day 5 Big struggle!

So today is day 5 and as it’s the end of my working week I usually celebrate with wine… usually on my own! Tonight has been a big struggle and I’ve found myself feeling very lonely and quite irritable… but I’ve stayed strong… I’ve done some reading, had a hot bath and snuggled on the sofa with my son watched a film and drunk peppermint tea. I’ve even agreed to work s few hours extra tomorrow to keep me busy!

14 Likes

Seems like a pretty good night to me Sammi. Not much truly celabratory about drinking a bottle of wine alone. I did that for years. No fun at all. Snuggling with your son, a hot bath and peppermint tea, that’s quality time lady!

2 Likes

Well done on 5 days. Not easy breaking long lived habits.
I’ve drunk, secretly and openly, at home every day for at least 7 years. My routine of a night, get a meal sorted, gets kids off to bed. Wife goes into her study, I sit and drink watching TV.
Weekends were slightly different in that we both drank, but I had already been drinking during the day.
I had to stop that habit, bang. Just like that.
I had tried to moderate, my wife asked if I could just, maybe have one of s night. Tried, but didn’t work.
So when I did it what did I do?
I told myself that that wasn’t me anymore. Reconditioned my thinking. I still sat doing the same thing but had ginger beer instead. Ginger beer has become my reward for a good day, my consolation for a bad day and my drink to celebrate the days with a y in.
It was hard, very hard, at first. But it didn’t take long to change my mindset. That’s the thing mindset. Instead of " hey that was a crap, good week let’s relax with wine" find something else to reward yourself with.
Anything but drink.

6 Likes

The weekends are the hardest. I work Monday to Friday and usually I didn’t drink in the week but as soon as Friday comes I feel like I’m missing out. I done my food shop after work and to me it seemed every other person was buying alcohol!
When I was drinking I would of laughed at people who wasn’t drinking or laughed at them for drinking peppermint tea!
Keeping busy is definitely helping me right now. Tonight has been the hardest day so far.

3 Likes

I wore a path on the carpet by first week, pacing back and forth. It was uncomfortable, but it didn’t kill me. Just remember that, it won’t kill you!

:blush:

3 Likes

So now you laugh at the people who buy it!
You tell yourself you’re not missing anything at all. In fact you’re gaining so much more! You just sat and had a relaxing evening instead of worrying about whether you have enough drink, and what if something happens and you can’t drive and all the other worries we had as drinkers
You can do this, but you need to stop thinking in the wrong way.
Your not missing anything. Keep saying it.

3 Likes

Good for you on your 5 days!! Keep at it, it does get easier. Take a walk with your son if needed, go to a park or nature walk…maybe a movie out if you can swing that and enjoy it. Love the baths and peppermint tea!!

1 Like

Chamomile, but peppermint is ok. Hot baths are pure luxury and a must as far as I’m concerned.
Self care.

1 Like

Today is Day 5 for me too. I actually feel worse today than the first 4 days (high heart rate, sweating). I’m looking forward to a bath and sleep myself. Congrats on 5 days!

5 Likes

Welcome @Beach_Lily!

1 Like

Welcome! I used to feel the same way laughing at people who were out doing things other than drinking. Last weekend my gf and I were out and about we passed one of our old bars about 5pm and it was packed on a Saturday she was like you know what back in January on a Saturday you would have been there black out drunk by now, and we just furnished your whole apartment today shopping with all the money you saved. Im proud of you. Keep in mind I had no place to live at that time either. It’s not a bad thing to not drink. It gets easier.

2 Likes

5 days is huge after being a daily drinker, i could not even get 3 days. It does get easier as you get stronger and your mind heals. You’ll start to realize you’re not missing out on anything by not drinking, you’re only gaining things! Like free time to fill with new interests, head space not occupied by obsessing about drinking, peace of mind, clarity, and joy in everyday things.
I took a lot of hot baths in early sobriety. I read a lot of books in the bathtub too. And tea is my reward after a long day and after the kids are in bed.
Keep going, it is so worth it to be sober! :blue_heart:

2 Likes

Welcome here @Beach_Lily! Hope you’re sleeping a healing sleep now.

1 Like

Yes. Last night was much better then the previous. Thanks.

2 Likes