Day 5 into marijuana addiction recovery

Hey, just wanted to post as I can see a few struggles on here and thought it could be good to post about my positive recovery so far.
I had been using marijuana every day for the last 9 years. Telling myself it was the best thing ever and no way I could live without it…not really taking into consideration that It was a massive emotional crutch and enabled me to suppress any emotional termoil over and over…much like pushing a floating object to the bottom of a glass…of course it always came back to the surface and this cycle has continued.
My anxiety, self esteem and confidence was on the rapid decline from smoking and what did I think was my only saviour? Weed.
I started to fear the world and wanted an escape daily…as soon as possible.
I travelled to Australia for 4 years in 2014 and it didn’t take me long to find a dealer who could keep me in supply, which I think was the worst thing I could of done because I grew so paranoid of my friends around me and pushed them away…and it slowly started to change the fundamentals of my personality to negative attributes.
Since coming back to the UK again in 2018, it didn’t take long to find a supply and things just got worse.
I was still working but my social skills depleted, paranoia had increased and I became pretty much a recluse, smoking to numb the realisation.

Only recently, I had a wake up call… the things i thought were saving me all along was actually my captor.
It had taken my self esteem, confidence and self love. Under everything I wanted to be free but because I would convince myself in the mist of the addictive thoughts that I needed the weed I started to think of myself as weak and pathetic and a social recluse…
I decided to challenge myself to a 30 day cleanse and for the first time on day 5 I feel like I’m getting my old self back and the cravings have pretty much subsided…I know its early days…but progress is progress and I thought I would share for anyone out there batteling an addiction self love and commitment is the key.
Disassociating the voice telling you to smoke (or whatever vice) with your own… realise it is the addiction speaking and it is not what YOU want…it is the addiction trying to take back control of your psyche.
Stay strong!
Much love

1 Like

Congrats on 5 days! Yea the Effects of addiction are horrible Im glad you want a change

Very true, After 30 days the withdrawal is not even over. And as an Addict it would be dangerous to ever smoke/take something. Even after a few years, its unlikely youll be able to moderate it. Why do you want to smoke in 30 days?

1 Like

So happy for you !! I know how hard it is, I quit weed (“my drug of choice”) a few months ago and now I’m dealing with the booze. You seem to have figured out where the problem is coming from and where it is leading you. Good job, wish you all the best !!

1 Like

Thank you! I dont plan on smoking in 30 days it’s just in the past I have gave in when I thought about never smoking again…i think a small goal is beneficial to make progress and then hopefully in 30 days I will see the positive changes and keep pushing the goal post… :heart:

Ah i see. You dont even need to look much in the future though. What if the goal you have is to stay sober today, right Now? Just this day and optimally many more but you dont even need to focus on tomorrow, just today. What Works best for you you decide though

1 Like

Great plan, I started with the 30 day Alcohol Experiment for the same reasons, forever is a long time. After the 30 days the benefits far outweighed the gains so I’m now at 7 1/2 months and my thoughts have totally changed, I’m planning never to go back.

Hi and welcome!
Great plan, congratulations with your 5 days. It helps me to be here every day. This app is a great tool if you use it. So if you need help, just ask!!