Day 5 sober, not impressed

The first time I quit was 22 days long. i swear everyday that passed felt so good amd so strong! After relaping I dont feel that excitment of each day passing. I mean will I feel really excited once I get passed 22 day because itll be the longest Ive gone? Im proud of myself and still dont want to drink Im just noy as impressed as I was with myself befor lol

3 Likes

I know when I first had 5 days that was a miracle right there. Do yourself a favor and put the bat down and stop beating yourself up. Be proud of what youā€™ve accomplished so far. But also keep in mind that itā€™s been 5 days, and itā€™s still very very fresh. I was hopeless and didnā€™t think sobriety was possible. Now Iā€™ve been sober just over 11 months. Life gets better the longer ive been sober. Not everyday is fantastic, but overall, life is much better than it was accomplished year ago. If I can do it, so can you. Trust me.

6 Likes

I feel ya Iā€™m right there with you. I think first two first weeks are the hardest!! Iā€™m sooo grumpy hating on life at the moments feel like no one understands me haha. But Iā€™m withdrawing so I get it. Keep it up, it can only get better!

4 Likes

It can be harder each time you relapse.Try to do something different this time, make it so when you wake up you have things planned to look forward to.If you have to make a todo list, do it.

4 Likes

Yeah. I understand that feeling. For me it is this sense that those 22 days took so much work I didnā€™t want to do it again. But I guess thatā€™s the punishment we give ourselves for relapsing.

Another thing I found was I had this feeling of power and confidence the first time round. I was a hero to myself. So I felt great that first month or so. After I relapsed I felt less and less like a hero. But we have to tell ourselves that a real hero keeps getting back up after being knocked down. Be proud that you didnā€™t give up but rather that you are still here fighting for yourself.

5 Likes

It seems that just wrote my thoughts. Before relapse I was saying so proudly that I dont drink anymore and was feeling and proud about that. Now just continue because I need not to drink but no good feelings about that

2 Likes

I completely get what you mean about the excitement of days passing.
I was doing really well and let my guard down around the 160 day mark. I had a couple of blips 2 weeks apart. I know that if Iā€™d completely reset I would have thought ā€œwhatā€™s the point? Might as well do it againā€. So instead, I set up a second counter. My first now reads ā€œIā€™ve been on this journey for. ā€¦ā€ and the second counter is days since my last drink. This keeps me so motivated, Iā€™m up to nearly 7 months on the ā€˜journeyā€™ counter and will keep going. When I look at the 25 days I have since my last drink I feel dissapointed, I know now that I donā€™t want to reset that one again.
Good luck and stay strong, youā€™ll get there again x

3 Likes

I am very grateful for my sobriety today, and congrats on your sobriety, I know how tough it can get to want to drink sometimes, but what I have noticed about myself is that, the longer I stay away from alcohol, the easier it becomes for me to not wan to drink. Relapses for me are horrible, and I forget sometimes and I ended up drinking, and I always end up regretting that.

1 Like

I really know what u mean. I have the sameā€¦ first i, was so proud and now i dont even count the days en relapse allot ā€¦ i really need some motivation!

2 Likes

Same as me, as longer I dont drink as less wish I have. But some social triger probably does its bad eork and I end up thinking I can taste and stop. And endingg of course is binge drinking and regets

2 Likes

I try to motivate that: even I am not proud I can still fix my left and dont end up in the street or deadšŸ˜

2 Likes

I know that I did not feel normal, or even know how to feel normal, for a long time, maybe 6 months. I guess it took my body that long to truly process out all the alcohol and the side effects of years of drinking, but I did get a little lift waking up each morning, knowing that I had finished another day and night sober. Keep striving, and keep coming back!

1 Like

I just dont get it why the first time all my body was so easily giving up on alkohol and I was so proud that I dont drink. Even on relapse it was not a crawing or even a wish to have a glass it was just stupidity to think that I can control it. Now its so different and harder :frowning:

1 Like

Day 5 is always hardest for me. The weekend hits and first thing I feel is a beer. :roll_eyes:. Iā€™ve tried not being hard on myself. Sometimes I back up and keep a running tally of how many days you were sober total, not continuous. I just had a lapse and down and out. Been working out more watching my diet then bam. Down and out. Iā€™m just trying to play this day at a time. Fasting 24 hours today water only. It can be just as hard to fight a urge to eat than it is to drink.

1 Like