Day 6 Sober - Struggling

I am on day 6 and find it is getting harder not to reach for a glass of wine (or more). I’m proud of myself for getting this far, and using exercise to help, along with journaling. Is there anything else you can recommend to help?

The first few days were surprisingly easy, and I’m worried that I’ll relapse without finding something stronger to keep me in my sobriety.

I attended an AA meeting last week and hope to attend my next one this coming Saturday for support.

7 Likes

I do zoom AA meetings every day sometimes 2 in one day! I love them cause you don’t even have to leave your house! Also chocolate eat a little it helps lol keep on keeping on! You got this

1 Like

I agree with Myssy. Attending AA daily and getting a sponsor were crucial for me in the beginning. Good luck.

1 Like

I went to 2 or 3 meetings a day my first couple months everytime I had an urge. Thats what helped me. Just stay busy. I read a lot too.

2 Likes

Have you heard of InTheRooms? It’s virtual meetings all hours of the day. With a variety of topics & discussions.

Play the tape through! That’s a useful tool. Play through what happens when you reach for that drink. If you’re like me, and chances are you are, you’ll have a lot of experience to draw upon. Will that drink turn to more? Will you end up driving for more? How will that go? Will you end up texting something you shouldn’t to someone that doesn’t want to hear it? Will you black out and have unaccounted time? How will you feel in the morning? Will you make it to work? How will the guilt feel? How will the embarrassment feel?

All that can be avoided, sure you might feel some slight discomfort, but its worth it, right? I think so!

6 Likes

Nice job on getting to day 6! The first few weeks are the roughest for a lot of people. What helped me was breaking the habits that went along with drinking. For example, I could no longer stay in my home office after work, where I usually did my drinking. Usually, now I take a hot bath and that helps me to relax after work. Now I look forward to that after work instead of the drink. So, that became my new habit. You mentioned exercise, and that is key too I believe to help with sleep especially early one when sleep is terrible. But ya, breaking old habits that went along with the drinking was very important. Hope this might help a bit.

Bye for now…

2 Likes

I will check this out – thank you!

Just got my big book. It helps. Good luck man :facepunch:

1 Like

You can do this my sober brother. How are you today?

1 Like

For me the first 7 days are the worst then day 8 hits I have the most energy and feel great all I can say is stay busy keep yourself occupied there’s always something to do weather it’s stuff you been putting off or pick up a new hobby. Stay positive you got this good luck and take care. Peace

All this is great info. My experience is that the first 30 days are the hardest. After I crossed that threshold I didn’t even have cravings. The thing to read up on is PAWS (post acute withdrawal syndrome). Be ready for it 2-6 weeks into recovery. Not everybody is affected by it but, many many are including me. Don’t let it take you down. Keep doing the things that are keeping you sober!

Doing better - day 30!

Hi @CrunchyChihuahua, well done on your 30 days. I think the first few weeks are the worst, until you build your sober muscles up a bit.
I have a few tools now. Play the tape to the end (already mentioned), I made myself an urge jar with lots of other things to do rather than drink and remember that the only thing that alcohol can absolutely guarantee is a hangover.
Good luck on your journey.