Day 6 struggling!

Hi all I’m on day 6 and really struggling! My dog passed away yesterday and I’m finding it really difficult to cope. I’m off work at the moment and alone in the house. I can’t get motivated to do anything and all I’m thinking about is drinking. I don’t drink everyday but once a week usually and I binge drink can go through 2 bottles of wine no problem in a sitting and still look for more, basically until I pass out. My partner says he’s had enough and if I don’t sort myself out he is leaving me. I have already lost my dog I don’t want to loose him as well it’s just so bloody hard!! :sob::sob::sob::sob: Any support and advice would be grateful. The cravings are going to beat me I know they are - how do you all cope???

4 Likes

Good morning. I am so sorry about your dog. It is a heartbreak. Picking up a bottle will do nothing for the situation. All it will do is dull the grief and cause the grieving process to be longer. Get on here and read every thread. The urge will go away. A relapse will only tarnish the memory you have of your beloved pet. My prayers and thoughts are with you.

4 Likes

Hi Diane! Your 6 days has been hard earned, it is so difficult to lose a piece of us in our furbabies. My heart is with you! Many of us whiteknuckled sobriety until we discovered some meetings and support. Really the big thing I’ve discovered along my way is why I was drinking so much and so often. There were a lot of emotions I was trying to drown in the bottle by the end of it but that didnt help me heal-quite the opposite actually. So I have had a lot I continue to work through since becoming sober but it turns out I’m worthy of healing and loving my sober life! :heart: Hugs to you, reach out any time!

2 Likes

I’m sorry to hear about your dog passing away. That’s certainly hard to bear. I love my old dog and know I’ll be devastated when his time comes. As far as drinking goes you pretty much know or it’s been said in these early posts. All I can add is to think ahead to how you’ll feel about it tomorrow if you were to cave now. To do it or not to do it. Only you know. Maybe you could dedicate your decision to your lost pet. Which one would be the better decision to honor him/her?

Hi diane, feeling same here. This is only my 3rd day ànd finding it so hard as well, I binge drink, 2 or 3 times a week, didn’t think I had a problem until I decided to quit. This would have been a drinking day for me and haven’t stopped thinking about drinking since I got up. All I want to do is go get some cans and bottle of rum. My kids and partner don’t realise how hooked I am, I don’t want them to know. What’s helping me so much these few days is reading all the posts on here, knowing I’m not the only one going though this is helping me. Every one seems so nice on here and can tell they’ll be here for yòu :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

I totally feel you @Diane_Humphreys. So sorry for your loss and I know the grief is hard to bear but you have to remember that drinking wouldn’t make it any easier. All it would do is to numb feelings and make it worse the next day. 6 days is a great achievement and you should allow yourself to mourn about your dog without alcohol being involved. I’m with you. Sending love.

1 Like

AA has been invaluable to me. I’m now 330 days sober. Might wanna check out.

2 Likes

Couldn’t have put it better myself

1 Like