Day 7! Possible addiction I'm just realizing?

Gonna go on a bit of a rant here. I took you alls advice, I’m on day 7. Alot of you said you noticed a pattern of me stringing together a few weeks of sobriety then going on a bender and you were right I wasnt getting to the root of the problem. I went to a meeting and someone told me “drinking isnt your problem it is your solution” I’m sure alot of you have heard that. I’ve always realized I drank because it’s the ultimate relief to my crippling anxiety it’s the perfect social lubricant for me I feel clear with alcohol, not to glorify drinking but that’s what it is for me. Why do I have anxiety this way? I’ve come to realize it’s because of a second addiction. Entertainment. I always hung out at hole in the wall bars full of old drunks and I cant tell you how many times I’ve heard the older folks say you need to get off your phone and interact in real life. In my head I’m like yeah whatever old man keep up with the times. Even on those stretches of not drinking I’d occupy my time with tv, video games, and watching other people play music on YouTube. This past week I’ve been forcing myself to read instead of watch tv. I play board games with people instead of video games. And I go to the park by my house everyday and bring my guitar and play and sing with the homeless folks that hang out there and listen to their storys. Its helped me tremendously with my anxiety in a short time. Job interviews arent so scary. Interactions are getting easier. Hate to say it but the older generation was right. I see alot of you post about drinking because of anxiety and depression, try stepping out of your comfort zone. Thanks for listening to me ramble (I’m sensitive to caffiene and drank some coffee lol)

15 Likes

Love this post!!! Getting back into the real world and grounding ourselves a bit is huge. Those are some awesome things and you are going to remember it much more than you’ll remember looking at your phone later. Nicely done, thanks for the reminder! :heart:

4 Likes

You’re right mandi thanks for the support. And not to brag but speak of the devil!! Not 2 mins after I posted this I got a call from this shop I’ve been dying to work at saying I start tomorrow at 730am. What the heck is going on!! :grin::blush:

8 Likes

Yesssss!!! That’s amazing!!

1 Like

That’s a pretty profound revelation you picked up, and an insightful approach to getting back out there. I know isolation was a pretty big part of my drinking, too, both cause and effect in a vicious loop by the end.

In a new area I also took to the nasty habit of hitting pubs to try and connect. That only accelerated things getting worse, hiding behind a glass and not really “being myself.” Eventually things progressed to drinking alone at home, lost in entertainment and a bottle. Writing this, realize I still watch too damn much TV! :blush:

Working the program helped me sort through a lot of hang ups that had been built up, though. And, like you, having more frequent board game nights and going to the many local festivals with friends also more enjoyable. Re-learning how to do more listening than talking with others. Turns out the people around me are pretty amazing.

Thanks for sharing this, @Sean2. :+1: Good stuff.

3 Likes

Congratulations!

1 Like