Day one almost over

It’s not that I have felt bad all day. Im just trying to cope with how my life will be now. That’s difficult.

5 Likes

I totally understand how you feel! I think that’s why the phrase “one day at a time” is so popular in regards to sobriety. It can be very overwhelming to think about the whole rest of our lives without our DOC. I get stuck in this thinking a lot.

Just take it day by day, hour by hour, or 5 minutes at a time, and make the choice to be sober for right now. Don’t worry too much about tomorrow or a few months or years from now. You just have to make it through today, and the good news is you’re almost there! :sparkling_heart:

12 Likes

Thank you for that.

2 Likes

Well said @Ktd

1 Like

What do you picture your life is going to be like now?

1 Like

I’m on day 1 too. Let’s do this together. Been a hard day but let’s just do 1 at a time

2 Likes

@Freckles day two now. How are you doing? I had a awful weekend that is showing me that it’s just not a good idea for me to drink.

2 Likes

I don’t know.

I don’t know why I think about it like that. But forever feels like a long time. I’ve since drank again. And I’m hoping this time (day#2) I can get on track. And I’m not thinking about forever as much, Im thinking more about why it isn’t good for me…

1 Like

I understand. Thinking about forever gets really overwhelming. When you find yourself in that mindset, try to remind yourself that you don’t have to figure out how you’re going to stop drinking forever. You just need to know how you are going to get through today without drinking. We have no idea what life will bring us 10 years from now or even 1 year or 6 months into the future. So it is a waste of time and energy to try to figure out how to be sober then, when we could put that effort into our sobriety today. The choices we make to be sober today will help us have a better sober day tomorrow.
You have the experience of what life is like when you drink, and like you said you see it is not good for you. Give yourself the chance to experience life sober. You will see for yourself why it is better for you, rather than just hearing other people talk about it.

2 Likes

Very well said @Ktd! I cannot say that I could even pick up a phone on day one @T-t so your doing well. My DOC was alcohol and I’ve always been told we don’t have a drinking problem we have a thinking problem. I try word games or sudoku when my mind gets to me just to shift focus to anything else! Also when I was having a tough time through boot camp or the proceeding training I would try to make it meal to meal and that’s what I have used for alcohol as well, just make it to lunch without a drink, then dinner, etc. But you got this. I’ve been on this site all hours of the day and night and someone is ALWAYS here to even just chat with.

3 Likes