Day two and feeling the urge

It’s only day two and all I could think about at work was how I wanted a glass of wine when I get home. Usually I would swing by the store, grab a bottle and head home. But tonight I just went straight home. Feeling pretty proud while at the same time still really wanting that glass. It’s going to be a long road but I know I’m making the right choice :slightly_smiling_face:

12 Likes

Good for you for not stopping on the way home! Great step. Stay busy tonight. Read a lot here. Remember the proud feeling of not buying the bottle or having the drink. Let’s get get to day 3!

2 Likes

Thank you!! I ready to take day three head on :slight_smile:

1 Like

Well done on day 2 sober.
Each day you beat the urges you are flexing your sober muscles, and so making yourself stronger.
Yes you will be thinking about it a lot for weeks to come probably, but it does get easier as you go on.
Have you a plan, moving forward?

2 Likes

I don’t really have a plan, just taking it one day at time. Hoping to start some kind of exercise routine before too long. Want to get past the hard days before then though.

One day at a time is a great start Monnie. ( Great name, is it short for anything?)
Have a read around on here, search any questions. There is loads of information on here for the newcomer.
I think @SassyRocks posted something yesterday with links.
For myself, I had a few weeks of feeling crap and continually fighting the voice urging me to drink.
You might want to familiarise yourself with what sorts of things are available to back yourself up with, build yourself a “toolbox” as they say.
Because, there will be days when the urge to drink will be so strong that it will drown out anything you put up in defense.

4 Likes

Kinda nerdy but I picked Moonie because one of my favorite childhood TV shows was Sailor Moon lol. Thank you for the advice I will take any whenever I can. I haven’t made any friends since we moved about 4 years ago and have lost touch with most where we used to live, so I don’t really have the support system. What kind of things should be included in a ‘toolbox’?

Good enough reason for the name.:face_with_hand_over_mouth:
Now’s your chance then to make new friends.
AA and other recovery groups have people in similar situations to yourself. Common ground.
I’m not tech savvy I’m afraid, I’m not able to link threads to here, but I have just done a search on the word " Toolbox" and there are some great threads come up. Use the magnifying glass at the top.
You can do this for any word or topic.
And there’s usually people around.
But basically just build yourself a toolbox full of the things you can use.
Some people have physical ones, little purses some just have mental ones, or a mixture of both. Whatever you think you need to keep you mindful of your journey.
A lot of people write down why they are getting sober, how they feel when hungover that sort of thing. Just to remind themselves. Because sometimes we do forget.
Anyways, have a read of those threads and others.
My personal toolbox these days contains my latest AA chip. It’s always in my pocket as a constant reminder.

2 Likes

I thought about drinking constantly for the first year. But luckily, deep down I knew that those days were over. Not because I wanted to but because I actually had to.

1 Like

d42f1e536d53b6ed579e2982f8d8caba

1 Like

Awesome job on heading straight home. That’s definitely not easy.

The other night I watched winnie the pooh. Sometimes we gotta go back to our roots!

1 Like

Sounds stupid. Try taking another route home from work. Less temptation.

1 Like

Moonie, How did today go for you? What are you feeling about tomorrow?

1 Like

Thank you for checking in on me. Yesterday was rough but for other reasons. But even thought it was rough I still did not drink though I really wanted to. On to day 4 :smile:

That is great to hear! Many times I can use a rough day or a great day to justify a drink. Glad you did not fall for it. Have a great day 4.

1 Like

Day nine. I’m realising where the weak points are. Does anyone else carry shame like a millstone around their neck?

1 Like

CJH, how are you doing! I carry a lot of shame. Sometime driving I panic and realize there were times I could of killed someone on the road while drunk. It is normal. It will lessen time.