Day two reflection

So it’s day two for me. . Woke up feeling horrible, soaked in sweat, horrible headache, and a little nauseous. . BUT! I got up and showered and repeated to myself “I made it to day two!! I’m so proud of “you”!! May seem like such a small goal but this is the first time I’ve gone two days in a row without drinking in a couple years.

I found myself feeling better after i showered and kept telling myself “it’s gonna be an awesome day! Today is the day we crush it. . Today is the day we shine!”

I have my huge presentation for work today and I want to keep reminding myself this is ONE of the very long list of why I want/need to be sober, yes I was killing it at my job as a functioning alcoholic, but that just means I’ll be even more stoppable sober.

So behind all the horrible feelings of detox is a very determined soul (hence the name :wink:) I will not let alcohol win even, when I’m not consuming it by entertaining these horrible after effects it has on me. . It’s just another way it’s trying to take control and get me, all of us, to go back to it. . I’m not letting that happen, and I don’t want any of you to let it happen either! Time to break up forever.

Just wanted to share my reflection of how I’m feeling day two, I hope you all are hanging in there, staying strong, and continuing to remind yourself that you are AWESOME!

<3

14 Likes

Fantastic post @Determined2018

Keep focused on your goal and good luck with your presentation.

You got this! :+1:

1 Like

Congratulations!!! It sounds like your head and heart are in exactly the right place. I too was doing a pretty good job at my job…but it’s nothing compared to what I’m able to do now that I’m sober. Good luck on your presentation…keep fighting the good fight!:heart:

2 Likes

Awesome to hear you’re doing even better at your job now that you’re sober! I’m sure you’re achieving some awesome things and it will only get better from here. :muscle:t3:

Wow, you basically described my day, iam at day 2, woke up this morning and feelt like i been runned over by a train, i have a high preformance job and had 3 deadlines. Now they are all done and i can tell myself “yes i made it!!!”.

Keep strong and good luck!

I found that vitamins and mineral and long walls helps against the sweating and headaches and anexiety.

3 Likes

I hope your presentation went well! You’re right- without alcoholbto slow you down you’re going to see a vast improvement at work. It is going to take some time, though. Hang in there you’re doing great! When you’ve been drinking on the daily the first few days are hard, and 48 hours is like running a marathon.

1 Like

Wow good job, you can do it!! We are all in the same boat, riding the same waves. Life is like the ocean, some days are calm, some days are choppy, and some days are stormy. Stay strong.

3 Likes

Loving that metaphor :heart:

2 Likes

So good news. . I killed my presentation, went really well and positive feedback!! Thank you all for the positive words and motivation.Bad news. . Now my cravings are screaming at me again and my head is pounding. I’m in the “I want to celebrate that awesome presentation and decompress with “a” drink!” . . Need some help! I just pulled into the gym, trying to just get myself to go in there and work it out but damn it this is hard. .

1 Like

It really is. . I think this moment right now has been the hardest so far. Ugh. Thank you for the support!

1 Like

The gym is the best place to decompress!! Great job :hibiscus:

1 Like

First, congrats on killing your presentation! Such a good feeling.

I think that when your first get sober it’s really hard to figure out how to celebrate accomplishments without drinking. My husband and I used to buy a beer called “Celebrator” to celebrate things like a presentation gone well. It came with a goat ornament. We would write the accomplishment on the bottom of the goat. We collected them as a way to remind ourselves of good things we’ve done. Now that we’re sober, we’ve had to think of something else. We’ve settled on key chains. We bought a bunch of cheap whimsical keychains, and a fancy bag. We’re going to pick a key chain from the bag each time we accomplish something, write the accomplishment on it, and use it as our key chain until the next accomplishment. This time I picked a yellow flip-flop.

Just make sure you celebrate somehow, but that your celebration doesn’t involve alcohol.

2 Likes

Be present at the gym. Listen to your heart beat. Set an intention. Example: Today I will run for 20 minutes. And focus on each step. Each step gets you closer to that 20 minutes. Once you achieve that intention, set another.
I just got home I’m going to… walk my dog. And be present when you walk your dog. Find a grassy area and cry, laugh, journal, scream. Do what ever you need to do. The next best thing. Just don’t drink today.

2 Likes

I love that idea. . Thank you for sharing!

2 Likes

Thank you so much. . That’s great advice, work out went great and I did not and will not drink today. Thank you for your support.

1 Like