Dealing with constant severe pain after amputation

Been sober for one year, five months, and six days. Been doing great, keeping in touch with my sponsor, my rehab center alumni, and weekly calls from MAP. Four weeks ago I lost a fight with a table saw. I cut off every digit on my left hand. The only digit they could save was my middle one (of course) and they had to use parts from my other fingers to rebuild it. First thing I did when I got home was contact my sponsor and the rehab alumni and then attended an AA meeting. I’ve overcome the loss of my fingers and thumb. Eventually I’ll be getting prosthetics and life will go on. What I can’t get over is the constant nerve pain and phantom pain. Can’t sleep more than a couple of hours without waking up in severe pain. Meds are not working and they’ve upped the dosage a few times. Last night woke up at 1am the constant pain sent me into a rage and I swore I would be knocking myself out tonight with a good bottle of bourbon just so I could sleep. I didn’t go get it but if this doesn’t let up I’m sure I will soon. Can’t go many more days like this. Anyone else dealing with constant pain and still staying clean? If so how? Please!!!

4 Likes

Hi there and welcome to the forum!
Wowee you did quite a number on yourself, and I’m so sorry you’re experiencing such pain!

I personally haven’t had experience with chronic pain and recovery but if you type in the search bar at the top ie chronic pain and sobriety / dealing with physical pain you may find some helpful threads and info like in this thread below

Wish you all the best!

1 Like

John, I’m glad you came here. Like Becsta I have no personal experience with the type of pain you are going through right now. However I am the mother of a leg amputee that happened 15 years ago. I well understand what you are going through as far as the pain keeping you from sleep. My son was deep in his addiction when the motorcycle accident happened but now he has almost five years clean. I do know it gets better. The old trite saying of it takes time applies. He is in California so sleeping right now but later today I will contact him. I’ll see if he has any suggestions that will help. About two months ago I got a bad cut on my hand that developed a really bad infection and I know that sleeping was the worst because I’m a moving sleeper and I kept waking myself up by rolling on it or just moving it in my sleep. Have you talked to your doctor about any way to protect it while sleeping? Even sleeping in a recliner rather than a bed right now so it restricts movement might help. I’ll come back later after I talk to my son. Until then know that I’m thinking about you and I care. Sending gentle cyber mom hugs. :heart:

3 Likes

Thank you for your input. Talking to a doctor these days is nearly impossible but I have and they increase the dosages. I still have to keep my hand elevated so I prop it up every night and it’s still there when I wake up. Nothing hurts to the touch anymore its just the nerves healing (I did a lot of damage) and phantom pain. I’ll look forward to hearing what your son has to say. Thank you so much.

2 Likes

Thank you. I will check it out :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

I haven’t been able to get ahold of him yet. I haven’t forgotten. I’ll keep trying.

1 Like

My chronic pain is nothing compared to what you have been through. I have neuropathy from cervical disc fusion my hand and fingers and arm are affected sometimes it can reach level 8 or 9 varies throughout the day. Can’t take pain meds or use marijuana both of those got me in trouble and I have removed them from my life. I have been using CBD with mixed results until two days prior when I returned to the store and the mgr
gave me a sample of tincture and I felt big difference compared to the water soluble broad spectrum product I had been using so yesterday I bought two bottles of tincture and I am feeling my pain level is pretty low a three or four. Very pleased

1 Like