Dealing with triggers!

When my past actions from before I got clean gets brought up I start feeling like shit about myself which in turn makes me angry cause I have worked so hard on my self worth. I had none not even a little bit and i dont want to lose it at all. I gain more everyday sober and clean. When my past regurgitates it hurts like the day I made the mistake! Please send some advice about how u deal???..

3 Likes

Yeah, the past sucks! We left a lot of wreckage in our path. But it’s what you did today that matters. All you can do is move forward and be a living amends to yourself and everyone around you. It will get better. There really will come a time when you do not regret the past nor wish to shut the door on it… I promise😉

As far as help with today and these thoughts of the past, the Serenity Prayer was a HUGE help to me in early sobriety. It was my version of meditation. I would use it 100 times a day in the begining. Many of us use it. It starts with God, but it doesn’t have to. Try saying the words and feeling their meaning. It always makes me feel better🙂

God,
Grant me the serenity, to accept the things I cannot change
The Courage to change the things I can
And the Wisdom to know the difference

4 Likes

Good advice @Gabe.G.

For me i know that everyday I wake up God has wiped my slate clean. I do think we have to prove our changed behavior to others but if they can’t see it then it’s their fault. We can only try to be a better person not only for others but for ourselves. Just keep your chin up! You are awesome and your doing great!!!

“Objects in mirror are behind you.”

You can’t change the past, so stop looking back at it in the mirror. Create the future instead.

2 Likes

I think everyone is just trying to say, ‘Don’t focus on it so much.’ Meditate, play with your dog, watch a ceiling fan lol. It’s only natural to reflect on the stupid shit we’ve done in the past, but focusing on our future is who we are today.

1 Like