Death/grief

Rough night. A young woman who used to hang out with our bar group died this morning from complications from pneumonia. She was only in her 20s. :pensive::pensive::pensive: They are having a memorial thing at the bar for her which I chose not to go to because I know I would drink in that environment. But I feel terrible for not being there at the same time :pensive:

6 Likes

I am sorry about your friend. You can honor her memory on your own and I know that you being sober and taking care of yourself is 100% the right choice for you. Donโ€™t second guess yourself. :heart:

5 Likes

Thank you :heart:

1 Like

Iโ€™m so very sorry for your loss. Donโ€™t feel bad and stay home to grieve by yourself. I went through a similar situation a few months ago. I found one of my close friends from our bar group dead in her house. All of our friends gathered at the bar in memory of her but I stayed home bc I knew I would have drank. Not one person made me feel bad for doing what was best for my sobriety. Hang in there and allow yourself to feel all of the emotions. :hugs: :two_hearts:

3 Likes

I am sorry for your loss also. Everyone is very supportive. I just feel bad myself.

1 Like

And that is totally understandable. Fantastic choice though knowing your limits and holding true to them. Thatโ€™s powerful stuff๐Ÿ’›
You can honor her and greive for her wherever you are. Being by yourself in your place doesnโ€™t make it any less legitimate. My mother died about 7 months ago, it sucked. Bad. I found that weirdly, the wake and the funeral seemed to matter most to the family she had that hadnโ€™t been there for her in life or left things unfinished somehow. Like going to the wake or funeral somehow made them feel better about themselves. Her spirit is out there now in all all knowing plane beyond space and time. Your grief and your steadfastness to your sobriety will all make sense in that place. Iโ€™m sorry for your loss๐Ÿ’›

2 Likes