Decided to quit drinking today after ruining my marriage

Hey all, my name is Gabe and today is the day. I’m 27 and have been drinking alcohol regularly since about age 15 and can say I’ve been a full blown alcoholic since I turned 21. It’s given me liver and heart damage and has caused me to gain nearly 100 lbs in the past 6 years. I’ve been drinking daily since I turned 21 and my intake ranges from a 6 pack to a fifth every single night. It has negatively affected nearly every aspect of my life from being late to work regularly to losing friends over a drunken argument that I don’t remember. Most of all, it has completely tanked my marriage. I’ve been with my awesome wife since high school and she has been incredibly patient with me, but my drinking has caused so many issues in our marriage that we are on the edge of divorce solely due to my drinking, realizing that is what has made me take quitting seriously. I’ve tried to quit so many times I’ve lost count and it goes the same way every time, I make it 2-3 days sober and then have a rough day at work and cave, telling myself I’ll do better tomorrow. And then proceed to binge drink every day for the next month. Much of this is societal pressures, working in blue collar tends to attract drinking buddies, but a lot of it is drinking alone trying to deal with stress, depression, and bad memories. But, this time I’ve decided to use tools instead of relying solely on my own determination. I have a long road ahead, but I’m excited to make a change and hopefully save my marriage as well as my health. This app has been so inspiring and I’m looking forward to making this journey with all of you. Any wisdom or advice is greatly appreciated.

30 Likes

Welcome bro. Sounds like you’re in the right mindset. Not so long ago I was in the same mindset. Similar experience with trying to quit. My health was fuckt, and I could feel it deteriorating.
Came on here everyday. Toughed out the first few weeks of cravings, changed my habits (drive a different way home so you don’t go past your store, avoid bars and parties for the first while.)
I listened to sober podcasts on the way home.
Stick with it bro. Defend your sobriety as if your life depends on it.

8 Likes

Hey Gabe,

Welcome. You have undoubtedly read and will receive much much great advice from many qualified and successful folks from this site.

What I am trying to do whenever I have a slight urge is to play it all forward to the after affects. Is that drink(s) going to be worth the price you will pay.

Hopefully the answer is a resounding “NO” and you find the tools to occupy yourself to follow through with that knowledge.

Stick around man, learn and find success.
I wish you well

4 Likes

Welcome! It’s great to have you here with us. Be gentle on yourself. :pray:t2::two_hearts:

2 Likes

Hey man welcome! I’m glad to see you making a change. Just know everyone here is proud of you and willing to help! I joined 4 days ago and everyone’s so welcoming

2 Likes

Welcome Gabe.
Sounds like you got a great wife there. That’s something to be truly grateful for.

I don’t usually like to give advice but share through my experience strength and hope. But………the 2 of you could surround yourselves with recovery if you were both willing. It’s a family disease.

I go to Al-Anon because my wife is an active alcoholic and I go to AA because I am a recovering alcoholic. I’m just fantasizing about how much the 2 of you could learn about this disease together and separately and how beautiful a thing it could turn out to be. And you could support each other.

Anyway. I’m don’t with advice.

Have a good read around

Join in when you’re comfortable
:pray::heart:

3 Likes

@GabeH Hello and welcome to TS! This is a great tool to have in sobriety. Lots of helpful people who get what you’re experiencing and can offer support. Organ damage, weight gain and marriage issues are no joke. Sorry you’re going through this. Starting your sober journey is a positive step to tackle these challenges. Speaking from experience, things will improve OODAT (one day at a time). Here’s a thread I found helpful as a newbie:
What’s YOUR plan?
Stick around, you’ve got this!

1 Like

Hey and welcome my advise would be dont stop to save your marriage do it for yourself and really want it for yourself you see if you do it for other people and it doesnt work out you will go back to drink but do it for yourself and better yourself things around you will get better including your marriage , i realised this to late and did get divorced but now im doing it for myself my relationships around me are so much better even with my ex wife. U got this ADAAT :muscle:

2 Likes

Hi im a guy who didnt save my marriage my ex got fed up of this crazy guy and through me out and a couple of weeks later i went to AA and never looked back got married again in sobriety this july 30 years married ,just letting you know that not all marriages survive but i hope your does maybe try a meeting wish you well

4 Likes

Hey Gabe, welcome to Talking Sober!

You will find that you can get sober regardless of your marriage being intact or not, regardless of the color of the collar you wear to work. I had to surrender to getting sober despite the circumstances or relationships.

I first got sober because I was tired of fighting the drink and losing, and of fighting against the idea of sobriety. And I had no expectations for a new, fun, life - I thought it was going to be gray and dull forever. But as the alcoholic fog lifted and I endured the challenges I had early on, I found that full engagement in AA and individual counseling and taking my Antabuse relieved me if the obsession with the drink. I needed a program that is simple and gives me the structure to handle life I lacked in my drinking days.

This is a good safe place to be when you are trying not to drink, and do is AA.

I’m glad you are here and I hope to see you around.

2 Likes