Depressed & Sober

For 12 years I drank as a social tool . I have alcoholism throughout my family but never realized I had a problem until may 2,2017 . my life has been forever changed and I’ve lost all my friends no need in keeping bad influences around but now I sit in a dark room daily and work at night . Being a postal employee doesn’t make it any better. Social media is not helpful being that I have too many people in the past to encourage me to drink I want to be sober and stop self medicating my mental illnesses with liquor I feel alone and afraid but I somehow have the strength to continue being sober am I alone? Does anyone else feel like this?

22 Likes

Hi, I just wanted to say hang in there, I’ve had to end a couple of friendships and it’s hard but, and I know this sounds so cliche, I have enjoyed finding friendship in myself. The past 6 weeks I have learned so much about me and what I can and can’t handle. I check in on myself daily just like I would with friends and loved ones, and I kinda like the new, sober me and I’ve learned how to treat myself well. It’s really fun! I’m sorry you are depressed right now, I know words can feel hollow but know this… giiiiiiirl you rock!!

11 Likes

@CatNY thank you so much and yes I am learning myself as well. Ive gotten back into reading a lot I’m just afraid I’ll become an extream introvert due to my social anxiety

5 Likes

I understand where you are coming from, I used to feel like I had to use before any social interaction. Now that I’m doing it sober I’ve had some awkward moments but I’m getting to the point where I feel more comfortable with other humans. I felt like everyone was better than me, and what could I possibly contribute to a conversation, ya know? Now that feeling is changing, but it’s going to take time, as I suffer with mental health issues as well. Thank you so much for telling me a lil about you.

2 Likes

Hi @Tiny1, hope you are feeling alot better… being and starting to get sober is hard work. In the beginning of sobriety it’s really hard and depression is a normal part of healing as crazy as it sounds. It’s sort of like spring cleaning, you have to make a major mess in order to get the real clean. I don’t know if you have or believe in a higher power? But if you do it a good time to seek help from family, pastor, freinds, counselor, God. I will pray for you and you sobriety. It will get better i promise. Just dont use please​:hugs::pray::purple_heart:

4 Likes

I can completely relate. I was jus telling my boyfriend how alone I feel. I feel like my friends have completely forgot about me because I don’t party anymore. I miss them, but then again are those friends? I was the ultimate social butterfly & now I spend my weekends at home. It’s different & lonely, but at the end of the day that’s what I have to do to take care of myself then so be it!!!
Feel better! Ur doing the right thing

6 Likes

You are not a lone at all ! I struggle with the same feelings as well. It’s such a tough battle trying to go against everything our friends do and what everybody else does. I personally don’t do well on Friday and Saturday nights, because everyone I know is near alcohol. For me it’s just important to remember my vision and long term goal of sobriety. I personally have saved so much money and my health has improved greatly, I just feel awesome all the time! Depression sets in but I know if I’m able to go to bed it’ll be fine when I wake up. Social media does not help, so I try to stay off it until the mornings.

7 Likes

Just got done telling my girlfriend the exact same thing tonight. You’re not alone and glad to see I’m not either!

2 Likes

What you’re experiencing is totally understandable. My therapist has worked with clients who have sustance abuse issues for 30 years and she said that when you quit, at first, your anxiety and depression will get 2x worse. But once you push through the initial period, it will get so so much better. Think of the long game, you’re in this for the rest of your life. You can do it.

6 Likes

@lizak I’m strong in my determination not to drink just the depression is taking a toll on me thank u one day at a time😞

2 Likes

First of all…great job!! Second I’m pretty sure we all feel the same way (at least sometimes)-- one day at a time–hit some meetings they help me so much

2 Likes

I’m so not ready for meetings

You have the power to transform your entire life and you’re well on your way! What I’ve learned is that the more you do something, the easier it gets. So, you have the choice of what that “something” is. I choose positive thinking, exercise, fun activities, laughter…etc.

Surround yourself with love and support. This group alone has been a great help in my life. You have hundreds of positive influences here. Stay with us! Lean on us! We’re here for you. :kissing_heart:

6 Likes

I have 6 days sober and I was TERRIFIED to go to my first meeting… I didn’t think I was ready either. And I still force myself to go, because it’s still scary, but I’m so incredibly grateful every time I face my fear and walk in that room.
And you know what? Today a woman with 16 years sober pulled me up to sit next to her and told me to loosen up because I was home. :slight_smile: I’ve spent most nights crying and most days gritting my teeth since I made the leap. This has been one of the longest weeks of my life. But when I’m sitting in those meetings, for one hour a day I don’t feel alone anymore, and that gets me through to the next morning.
I’m right where you are! And we’re all in this together. Stay strong :heart:️:muscle:

4 Likes

@DLOVE no they are not friends and throughout my sobriety I’ve been learning that the drunk me had way too many “fairweathered” friends and users up until I walked out of jail this last time because of my cousin and she wouldn’t answer my calls to help bond me out that was my last straw now failure is not an option

3 Likes

Wow, I could not have related more …I have 30 days of sobriety tomorrow and in this very moment I seriously want a drink …like right now …bad.
I’m going through a divorce , my choice , but not my family or friends therefore since the day I said I was getting divorced I became a single mom of 3 . Today I sit here and just the stress of normal life and the chaos of the kids I really want to drink . Now .

1 Like

Failure is not an option the liquor won’t help it’ll mask what’s really going on its hard I know try to set a small goal to make your kids happy. What I did was started saving the 30 dollars a day I spent on liquor to do something me and my son could enjoy. I felt like a bad mother during my 12 years under the bottle but these 53days have been great I got coloring books for us and sitting coloring just became a zen meditation thing and a bonding tool for he and I maybe this will help with you and yours keep striving for sober life it truely is a blessing and know that we all are here for you :blush:

4 Likes

@Tiny1, Amen… Failure is not an option, I love to hear that… it’s an excuse… Your going to make it​:hugs:. My rehab, counselor use to say all relapses were planned. They were not accidental! You did not slip, slipping is an accident… You know you are going to use days before you use! I like you… Go Girl… Talk about it… God made you one strong woman… You are proud, And should well be! stand tall…:ok_hand::wink::purple_heart::balloon:

1 Like

@lizak yes yes I think of that daily so far so good :grin::grin: I am afraid of cravings though and I haven’t experienced a trigger not even sure I know what mine are :disappointed: but I have this wonderful group of supporters and I’m not afraid ready to take the bull by the horns​:rage::no_entry_sign::cocktail:53 and counting​:+1::rofl::grin:

3 Likes

@Tiny1, That why you use the phone. Before the RELAPSE. If you need a contact I’ll give you my number