Depression Round 2

Hey folks! :slight_smile:
Anyone got some advice on how to deal with depression during recovery?

I suggest putting that saxophone in your profile pic to good use!

4 Likes

Find a way to serve someone else. Volunteer at the homeless shelter or soup kitchen, walk dogs at your local animal shelter, or search for other service opportunities online.

You can do this! Make sure to remember to pray to God for help. With His help, you are strong enough to kick this.

2 Likes

Derpession is a tough one for me. I absolutely have to get out of the house and do something worth while, usually walk the dogs. It eventually passes as all feelings do and the sun comes out again. I have to remember “this too shall pass”. In addiction I said “you shall not pass” to my sad feelings because it gave me a great excuse to use

1 Like

5-http & Smart Recovery worksheets to keep the mind empowered.

2 Likes

I took REBT (kinda like CBT) when I was in out patient. They have a depression workbook. Can probably find it online too.

1 Like

Get involved in a hobby, find a creative outlet, get into therapy, try acupuncture (it’s changed my life with dealing with anxiety and depression). Keep checking in here on the forum, engaged in conversations, stay motivated. Stay strong

3 Likes

Yes 5htp works for me… I take neurozan (vitabiotics) all brain vits. And being consistent with my supplements. B VITS essential for depression. Before I started this I was taking all the supplements to help with my hangovers so it wouldn’t notice to myself or others. Blind. And of course it eventually subsided. And I too am grateful for Talking Sober. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I had a terrible depression for my first 6 sober months, it eased off massively with the combination of 5http and taurine supplements. apparently it mimics our brain receptors and lifts mood. It worked wonders, highly recommend this. All the best.

So you are saying that all the taurine I drink in energy drinks helps with depression? That makes sense.

Oh I take taurine supplements so not sure how they compare, sorry … Also, I believe it has to be taken together with 5http to feel the effect. Energy drinks are not the best for mental health, sorry.

I’m now off my anxiety/sleep meds, clonidine and vistaril. Tomorrow I meet my psych doc to get the all clear to come off my depakote. I’m not letting my bipolar anchor me down. I’ve been working with my psych doctor towards a medication free treatment plan. I have plans in place for both manic or depressive episodes and if things go sideways I can always go back on the meds. Since I quit my anxiety/sleep meds I’ve had more energy and only one panic attack (last night) which I stopped using meditation and prayer.

Honestly, it was his idea in the first place. I’ve been evaluated like 4 times since November and released all the results to him so when we reviewed them together that’s where he landed. I knew eventually I wanted to go med-free but the decision wasn’t going to come from me. I’d imagine I’m going to have to deal with uncomfortable periods, but I’m okay with that. A lot of my symptoms we’re intensified by my persistent drug use. I definitely don’t recommend my path for everyone and certainly support medication for treatment, but I truly believe that if I focus on treating my underlying issues (stress, using, proper sleep patterns) that I can do this. I’m turning my addict stubbornness into determination a la @Yoda-Stevie

4 Likes

If I follow my higher power’s will for me today I have less to be sorry for tomorrow.

3 Likes

I find that those are the best to get out of a slump! Even if you do it half ass while watching tv at first. Haha that’s how I started :slight_smile:

1 Like

Can I ask what 5htp is please - it’s my first day here![quote=“Hazy, post:8, topic:38209, full:true”]
Yes 5htp works for me… I take neurozan (vitabiotics) all brain vits. And being consistent with my supplements. B VITS essential for depression. Before I started this I was taking all the supplements to help with my hangovers so it wouldn’t notice to myself or others. Blind. And of course it eventually subsided. And I too am grateful for Talking Sober. :slight_smile:
[/quote]

The great outdoors and lots of positivity through any source possible. Do not isolate