Send him victorious
Happy and glorious
Long to reign over us
God save the Beard

@thirdmonkey

6 Likes

I approave of this message

4 Likes

Now I want to find out what my average speed is… Probably not that fast. I don’t go many places…

That isn’t true- hence my initial post
You don’t have to be religious for AA to work for you, I’m certainly not. It’s all about fellowship and mutual support

Just curious, do you believe in 13 stepping or is that nonsense too?

6 Likes

It happens, but those are often predatory assholes using the ‘magic’ of their time sober to hit on people in a weak state. I don’t know what you mean by ‘believe in,’ I clearly stated I believe in anyone’s right to believe in anything that doesn’t hurt others, so your arrest at insulting me fails through your terrible use of language. Do I think that any unhealthy relationship, regardless of sobriety, should be pursued, is a no-brainer. Do I believe that people should not get into relations in their first year of sobriety, no, I think it is bullshit. Just because people get sober, doesn’t change the fact they may be attracted to someone, they may meet their life partner, they may get fucked over by an asshole but that’s life. The big book doesn’t mention anything about this, and shouldn’t.
Hitting on wasted, helpless or weak people is vicious and pathetic. We have laws to try and combat it.
So while I don’ really get what you mean by belief in a thirteenth step, this is my reply.
Stephen

Dear Stephen

Are we policing posts for language and grammatical errors now? If so I can point out the incorrect use of different commas within your post.

In regards to 13th stepping: You’re asking a female new to recovery to inbox you to speak about your ‘recovery methods’, this isn’t appropriate, why don’t you share with the wider group instead?

Kind Regards
Darren (BA, MA)

7 Likes

@DarrenUK @StephenUys These were skewing off the original topic, and unnecessarily personal. Let’s please stay on point and keep it civil.

6 Likes

4 posts were split to a new topic: Old thread suggestion

Apologies- I just wish these keyboard warriors were as brave face to face :v:

5 Likes

I love your sponsor!

2 Likes

He has 54 years sober, and completely hates the dogmatic approach to AA.

3 Likes

Now THAT is fascinating.

3 Likes

I agree, that’s wild!

2 Likes

It is, but I would say 70% of the AA groups here (roughly 700 a week pre covid) has had his influence over the years. A very unique AA experience from what I have seen.

3 Likes

There was one way back when I first started

1 Like

Yup it’s been done a couple times. Don’t forget that when you are curious about something you can always search for the keywords!

Here’s a link to one we did last year.

https://talkingsober.com/t/sober-book-club-on-zoom/111607

We did it via zoom. I didn’t end up participating as much as I’d like but I’d say it’s worth trying again!

4 Likes

I loved that book club! I admit I only came to a few sessions but they were fantastic. Would happily join another one @BroccoliHighKicks

2 Likes

Actually @BroccoliHighKicks - funny enough - I am currently doing a (virtual) book club with a friend of mine. She and I are reading his first major book, Maps of Meaning, which dates back to before he was (ahem) a cause célèbre.

The executive summary is it’s interesting as a cultural study. It is quite long winded and frankly… there’s a lot of superfluous verbiage. But it is interesting how he ties things together in his argument about possible origins of evil / deviant behaviour.

1 Like