Didnt expect to make it this far

Lets be real: how many times did you say you were going to quit drinking, and failed? A lot, right? Me too. I would make it 3 days? 4 sometimes?
This time was going to be different. I set goals, instead of just saying I was going to quit. Financial goals, and a “days” goal.
My financial goal was to pay for a vacation for my husbands birthday. I gave myself 208 days to hit that goal.
So, my “days” goal was 208.
I am at day 104. Our vacation has already been paid for!
I was offered free alcohol at a music festival, and I almost reasoned with myself that since it was free, it wouldn’t count. But, i knew i had also set a day goal, and I couldnt give up.
My new goal is a year. I have surpassed anything I ever expected to be able to accomplish.
104 days. Feels damn good. Better than I’ve ever felt in my entire life. Keep fighting, guys.

23 Likes

That is amazing! What a great feeling to say ‘No!’ Keep it up!

1 Like

Congratulations for passing the 100 mark! A special vacation sounds fantastic to me!
:100: :balloon:

2 Likes

Good for you!!! It really is amazing the money you can save. Money you can use to REALLY have a good life. Im at day 109 and i cant imagine life with alcohol now. You are so right…i never thought I’d ever get past a week in this life. Youll make that vacation,that year, and beyond! Congratulations!!!

1 Like

That’s a wonderful idea of setting a day goal. I started a 30 day no booze challenge with a friend but then I slipped twice. I just want to make it past two weeks of not drinking and then make it last for always. Any tips?

1 Like

I guess every single time i think about having a drink, i remind myself of the whole reason i started this. My husband. I wanted to do something awesome for him, and the only way i could do it financially was to elimimate alcohol. Around day 40, i started doing it for me instead. Any time i have a craving, i also go back and remember my last hangover. I couldnt even hold down water for over 24 hours after i stopped drinking. I dont want to feel like that again. Ever.
The husband still drinks, but hes being more responsible, and since im usually tired and want to go home by midnight. Plus im driving, so that eliminates the drunk driving aspect.

Thanks guys. The first 60 werent easy, but it is getting better.

I never expected to actually quit. I was going for a month. After the month, which seemed to freaking take forever btw, it felt so good I just kept going. I remind myself how horrible I felt the first few days after quitting, how drinking became more of a job, how many bad things happened, how many blackouts, not being able to eat, sleep, moody, etc., on and on. I agree the first 60 days were hard but your right, it is getting easier. We are not alone in this. Great to hear similar stories.

1 Like