Different ways of recovering- we are all individuals

:joy::joy::joy:

I tried recovery dharma meetings after a couple years sober but the one nearest me didn’t have the kind of vibe I was hoping for. And unlike AA not very many around so no other options. To be fair it was Covid and they were all nice. Just not quite for me.

I really do like Buddhist philosophy though. Having got out of the habit of drinking and learning to be sober in situations that alcohol was a big part of, my continued sobriety journey has been more a mental health thing. The principles of acceptance, compassion, equanimity really speak to me. I know these also feature pretty heavily in recovery generally, not just AA. But another thing about Buddhism I like (and sometimes find difficult, philosophically) is the idea that we have what we need within us, while recognising the interconnectedness of everything.

My main sobriety tools have been this forum, walking, yoga, meditation and a lot of introspection. Also medication, therapy and this forum for mental health (not the forum’s primary purpose I know, but it’s definitely helped me!).

I love getting the benefit of other people’s approaches to sobriety. And equally hope that occasionally mine is helpful for others :blush::hugs:

1 Like

I am sorry this has been your experience. The common desire of recovery period, however one decides will work for them, interests me. I am a non religious person, who highly respects other addicts who have found ways to maintain abstinence. I am also very interested in how they are reaching goals in recovery because I use MANY different tools in my recovery. 12 steps would not “fix” me, I am a multi layer individual who needs multi tooled recovery.

3 Likes

I was not trying to start a debate at all with my question… I respect other peoples beliefs or faith. That is simply not for me and I have just had a hard time getting to the book personally. Again, I was not trying to start a debate.

1 Like

It’s OK, it’s something people often have strong views about and it comes up on the forum every now and then :hugs:

I know you weren’t, don’t worry :blush:

Whenever this question gets asked there are different camps, it’s a great question and leads to healthy debate.

Any questions you have got please ask them :v::grinning:

1 Like

Oh, you’re good. No offense taken.

The AA book is a hard one for the nonreligious. That included me as an agnostic and scientist.

The word “god” gets thrown around a lot in it only for lack of a better word at the time it was written. But AA was novel even at the time it started in that it tried very hard to set aside any prescribed religion or belief.

Still, that word can put people off which is a shame. But there’s a whole wide world of programs and insights for recovery today. We just try 'em on until one sticks!

2 Likes