Difficult day 4

I’m struggling right now. Trying to get out of my head but I’m feeling stressed and overwhelmed and just really want a beer. Its embarrassing because I just made it to day 4 but for the first time in a very long time and all I want to do is drink. Im trying to take a deep breathe and not give in because I don’t want to start over but fuck this is hard.

4 Likes

Nothing to be embarrassed about as I’m sure the overwhelming majority on this forum has or does deal with this. Gotta find another activity to occupy your mind. Or eat some ice cream. Late afternoon/early evenings are the hardest for me, so I attend a 6 pm AA zoom meeting to get through. After that, I’m usually in bed with ice cream and a good book. Hang in there.

5 Likes

Shit Ashley, if it was easy everyone would be in recovery. The easy side is bad, we already lived that side and it got us… Stick with this gal and it will so pay off!

3 Likes

First, it will pass. Second, just think of now. This minute, 5 minutes, while you don’t drink. Then you could try to distract yourself, making a walk, exercising,cleaning the house. Drink a lot of water.
It will pass. Alcohol is a poison, whispering, that it will make you feel better. But we all know, that it gives you depression, anxiety, hangover, feeling ugly and full of self-pity.
The craving will pass. Promised!

3 Likes

Lol I don’t know why this made me laugh, thanks for making me smile at least. Im doing my best right now, im going to home depot to walk around for a bit. The fresh wood smell might calm me down a bit

3 Likes

thank you so much, im going to whisper that to myself for a while. Im happy I vented on here first because I was just going to try and fet my fiance on board with drinking one beer… even though we all know it wouldn’t be one

2 Likes

thank you, maybe I’ll look for a meeting!

Man I hear you on that; I’ve been around that scenario a few times! It IS hard Ashley; but it’s doable. Tell the urge to eff off and nope!! Not today! Get mad, lol. Whatever it takes; you’ll be so happy you didn’t pick up!

2 Likes

Yay day 4 congrats. Definitely a hard time. Be Proud.
You know they say its 1 day at atime. But for some of us its a moment at a time.

I have trust issues lol but trust me when i say …
If you drink youll only regret it and feel shame were as if you do NOT drink. It WILL GET EASIER WITH TIME.

Stay strong.

2 Likes

yes, yes, yes. The smell of fresh wood is awesome

1 Like

go stand in front of the mirror and look at that hurting person, talk to them and help them, they need you.
Feel mad doing it? it’s OK you’ll both stay sober.

1 Like

I have the same thing with overeating, especially sweets. It sneaks up on me and I feel overwhelmed and stretched and just want to plow through a whole back of Cadbury Mini Eggs.

It’s always something I’m not paying attention to myself. Recently I realized I set unrealistic expectations of myself, make huge long to do lists, and then by end of day or end of week I feel discouraged. I need to realign my expectations.

Take care, and be gentle with yourself. Think about the expectations you have for yourself. Let some of them go and try to just be. See how that feels for a while. The world will still be here :innocent:

1 Like

Wow thank you so much, I do that same thing too! I make super long itemized lists and then get sad whenever a lot of it doesn’t get done.

1 Like

Ohhhh why do we do that??? :joy: That’s so funny. You know hearing you say that makes me feel less alone about it. Thanks :innocent:

1 Like