Discussion of Political Memes & Politics

definitely. Don’t want my bro Tanner running this country.

And for real dude, I’m all about a female being president. It would be an interesting situation =)

4 Likes

I’m all about whoever is best qualified and will do the best job (hopefully).

1 Like

I thought Warren was far the most qualified. Sad to see her go, but at this stage, any alternative seems great. I guess you can argue a BIPOC is less likely to be quite as racist as some of our leaders. One advantage of somebody who isn’t a cis-het-man is that the chance they’ve committed sexual assault is probably a little bit lower. If we think not being an assaulter is good. Women leaders seem to have done much better around the world with the virus, but maybe that’s just because so many male leaders happen to be autocrats, and maybe ladies can be that way too, given the chance.

2 Likes

All humans with power, regardless of race or gender, will corrupt most of the time, unfortunately. All over the world this has been true. Not just white, males.

But white men have been the prevalent leader in our country, so it’s easy to argue. I think everyone would corrupt. Yeah…super optimistic.

Bill Clinton was a smooth talker.
The Clintons are criminals.

I was young and didn’t pay much attention to George Bush Sr.

Dubbya was as bad if not worse than Trump for saying stupid things.

Dubbya and Cheney are criminals.

After they were done in office, I was listening and buying into Obama. I was ready for something new.

But Obama ended up following the same agenda that Dubbya had started in the middle east, following his fathers agenda.

Trump sounded good because he was willing to do it for free. I didnt trust him because he was already a reality star on TV. Its easy to see the possibilties that a billionare in office could use on the poltical stage to increase his already staggering wealth.

I guarantee he has profited way more than his meager presidential salary that he supposedly declined.

So now we have narrowed it down to a creepy, poor talker and a wealthy, arrogant, poor talker.

Both parties are backed by the same huge cooperations. The coorperations cant lose. They own congress.

They keep us fighting amongst ourselves over our illusion of democracy.

How do we solve it? I dont know. The United states isnt United at all.

United we stand. Divided we fall.

Trump hasnt made American great again, Biden wont do it either.

They all have huge criminal allegations against them, but they are never convicted.

I dont buy into any of it anymore.

6 Likes

All I know is trump has no respect for the constitution and is an insane evil corrupt narcissistic treasonous lying sonofab$&@. He’s tearing this country apart. Dividing us and even attacking Americans and letting us die. Putin is having a field day. Check out the documentary Active Measures. This is happening right now before our eyes. I don’t care about whataboutism. He must be stopped. He only cares about one thing. Himself. That’s it. Frankly I’m scared shit. No this apparently is not a perfect government. But what’s going on now is bullshit. I’m so upset.

Oh and I might add I was a registered Republican up until the election in 2016.

6 Likes

I’m not a fan of political memes mostly because I spend a large portion of my day digging into the news–local (not just my local news, but local papers in other areas as well), national, economic, and international. I’m a detail oriented person who uses a lot of critical thinking while digesting current events, so I find them to be simplistic, tribalistic, and even hateful at times. Memes are often also made to provoke some kind of emotional response from the viewer that further cements that person’s preconceived beliefs.

Basically, I’m a wet blanket lol. But at least I know it and am not in denial. :upside_down_face:

I don’t care if other people indulge in them. Each to their own. It’s none of my business what other people do with their spare time. They’re just not my cup of tea. I’d rather have an intellectual discussion about issues from a dispassionate point of view.

Different strokes for different folks, yeah?

@MrsOdh If you love the political meme thread, you should post your memes! Even if only a few people will get the joke, they’re memes you have that you think are funny. You never know who else may get the joke. :+1:

5 Likes

I’m sorry to break it to you but there’s no leader in any country that actually cares about their people. They all care about themselves, their power and the money they’ll get from it. No matter if it’s in US, Russia, Sweden or anywhere else. As soon as they are granted power that’s all that matters to them and they’ll do anything to stay on that post. You, me and other “normal” hard working people doesn’t mean a thing to them except for when it comes to our votes or our ability to pay taxes. Even if it would be an ideal way of ruling a country it wouldn’t matter, people all works the same way when ultimate power or money are involved.

5 Likes

I think you’re wrong. The Dutch prime minister really seems to care about the people. He may not be my preferred prime minister, but he takes his work serious and has a passion for it

5 Likes

Maybe the Netherlands is the worlds exception, but I doubt that. It might depend on who you ask though.

2 Likes

:joy::joy::joy::joy:🤦 Derek you’re funnier than the entire thread!

3 Likes

I find this to be true. Since they depend on cultural/political/whatever tropes that are known and popular amongst certain groups (large or small, political or not), they just point to a fact or facet that it already known too the viewer and affirm this “fact”. They do not creatively interpret or add anything, they regurgitate. That’s why you can’t explain most of them. Your have to know the elements, and then you get it, otherwise you don’t. I find them dogmatic in that way. Not my fav means of communication or internet culture but heck I’ll look at them too. Not a wet blanket though! :wink:

3 Likes

If they haven’t done in the first place
(if you’re referring to the civil war) you guys might still have been ruled by England.

I might not be objective here though I’ve got half of my family in the South :blush:

1 Like

I guess basically politics sucks! @MrsOdh When I was younger raising my family working and burning the candle on both ends I was ignorant and just figured my vote don’t count and they all lie anyway so frick them! Now retired and appalled at what’s going on and all the hate and division. And over here the hate and division is blatantlycoming from the top. And the Majority of the Senate and Republicans not doing their job keeping trump in check. I’ve lost friends over this. Or people I thought were friends over this. It’s very sad. There is a thing, at least I though, moral family values that I was lucky enough my parents instilled in me and I’m thankful they did. I’m just tired of all the hate. I got no answers and I got no good arguments. But I’m going to vote my ass off.
:peace_symbol: :heart:
And pray :pray::pray:
And God willing stay sober for this shitshow :crazy_face:

5 Likes

I’d really like to move to a Scandinavian country. It sounds heavenly. I’m sure y’all got your own problems. But it sounds nice.

2 Likes

Besides the weather we’re doing okey I guess. But yes we do have a lot of our own problems here, and some adopted from US for example. But it doesn’t really get huge proportions here because we’re a small country, and most people at least most Swedes doesn’t really have the mentality of creating havoc about things. We tend to trust or leaders, mumble some curses and get back to work. Also it’s a silent agreement that you don’t discuss politics or religion because everyone is free to have their own opinions. Lately the attitude have changed a little but we’re still careful over here. Some people are aware about the fact that non of our leaders do care, but most people are still keeping their hope up that they do, and that they are doing what’s best for the people. We vote, work and pay taxes so we’ll stay being the best country to live in. Even if the reality isn’t so.

2 Likes

I’m trying to have hope.
And I don’t talk politics to anyone. Although I’m finding it nice to have discussions on this thread about it. I’m working real hard at not getting offended even if I despise someone’s hatful point of view. I didn’t cause any of this and I can’t control any of this right?

4 Likes

That’s right, there’s a lot of things we can’t do much about I guess.

1 Like

If you have a vote (I don’t), that’s a little piece of important power. If people like memes, enjoy! I think memes can be problematic bc they tend to make it all about cartoonish visions of individuals, and of course humans are flawed. But there are real policy differences that affect lots of people’s lives. Legislation matters. In the US, the ACA made a big difference to people without healthcare. I worry that the meme-ization of politics encourages us to see it as about villainous types of person, not about figuring out how to build a better society. How to make good trouble and invoke real change. Which I do think is possible.

7 Likes

I agree to extent. The problem with US politics is the two party system. All they do is go at each others throats and if something, like the ACA, is passed the opposition will do whatever it can to destroy it. Example: Mitch McConnell did everything in his power to deny all of the legislation put forth by the Obama administration. Currently, the Democrats are fighting tooth and nail to stop anything Trump tries to pass no matter what. Yes, voting is a wonderful part of democracy but in case it has been missed by some our political system is absolutely fucked.
“America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.” -Abraham Lincoln

2 Likes