Discussion: The Freedom Model?

I realize you were asking about the book, but you also asked this question, which opens up the conversation beyond just the book, and is what prompted me to share about when I had given up on seeing my experience as the result of a condition that alters the way I think about alcohol.

I also don’t need to debate this further. I’ve said what I had to say in response to questions asked.

1 Like

Haha! Fair enough. I was trying to discuss the book but I did, in fact ask that question. Thank you

I’ve never read that particular recovery book. I am open minded enough to accept that there are other ways to overcome addiction than just the models that AA suggest. For example, I had a family member that drank heavily 40 yrs. He went to AA (a lot), 4-5 inpatient rehabs, and he just quit years later cold turkey… I asked him how he did it, and his response was simple “I was tired of drinking”.

My personal thought process is, “I just won’t drink alcohol anymore”. Do I need to go to AA meetings my whole life to make that a reality? All the time at AA meetings; can be used for volunteer work, spending it with my children, working on college education, working out or doing hobbies. There’s more than one way to achieve sobriety! Thanks for bringing up the conversation, any path that leads to sobriety is worth the exploration.

5 Likes

When you finish the book keep us informed ,

I joined SMART, too. Also planning in doing some meetings after the holidays. They have some great videos to watch when You join. They have a discussion forum, too. Ive been learning a lot by watching some SMART speakers on YouTube.

3 Likes

Just checking in to see how the freedom model is working for the OP?

I’ve done that before bootz, lol. Responded to posts that were so old, then slink away…”nuthin’ to see here :grinning:

3 Likes

I’m actually glad he revived this thread.
After reading it I too am curious how the “freedom model” worked out. However according to this person’s profile they have not been on since January…

What ever the case i wish this person well, regardless my morbid curiosity

I have observed many who announce their presence with some “silver bullet” often fall away fairly quickly, although this OP was seeing input from others. I think the OP was on the right track as in “Hey, I am seeking understand of my situation to better fight against my addiction”. Commitment is the deciding factor. One can have the best of everything available, support, help, information, but where commitment is weak or absent, failure soon follows.

It comes down to “the will”, and “the means”. Both must be present in sufficient quantity, if success is to be gained.

1 Like

I agree completely. The OP did seem to have a geniune curiosity on what others thoughts and opinions were. Which is always nice when gathering information on what has worked and what hasn’t for some individuals. Which is the diligence we all hope for in everyone on their path to recovery. In addition, the resurgence of this thread does spark my curiosity of the book he spoke about. I might have to track it down and give it an open minded thumb thru in am attempt to get insight on what the OP saw in it’s pages.

2 Likes