Do you reward yourself?

I feel like being sober is a reward in itself as the benefits feel endless, but does anyone reward themselves in other ways? Last night a lovely package of skin care products arrived, something I would never usually treat myself to. It was lovely putting a face mask on last night knowing that I won’t ruin my skin at the weekend by binge drinking, which would result in me looking grey by Monday morning. I feel so nice today as a result!

15 Likes

Good on you Catherine! Nice one. Being sober and clean indeed is reward enough in itself but I do love to see how much money I actually save by quitting smoking and drinking. it’s rewarding to see my savings grow a little bit each month, that I can buy a new washing machine should the one I have now break down. And I rewarded myself in many ways, going to the USA on vacation which I could never afford before being just one.

1 Like

That is amazing, hope you had a wonderful vacation! It’s so great how much extra money we have from not drinking which we can spend on the good things in life, and also there if we need it.

1 Like

Here’s a thread that has some similar info (although I think it’s based on “buying things” vs. rewards but still might be better interesting. Ive yet to do a reward so I’ll have to think about one :blush:
I’ve never linked another thread so this might not work but I’ll try lol

(What'd you buy instead of your DOC?)

4 Likes

Oo brill, thank you - I’ll check that out!

1 Like

I just had a look - it’s such a positive post, thanks for sharing! :smiley:

1 Like

Rewarding mostly by being in the program…but i much more open to new things…cinema musea u name it…in mine active addiction my cough was my best friend…nowadays i spent more time outside + im buying a lot a useless shit😅

1 Like

Oo you deserve it! so nice enjoying new things too, it’s great thinking of different activities that we can enjoy outside of alcohol

1 Like

Yeah totally agree! For me its all about being active and have some structure…

1 Like

It worked !

1 Like

I took the money saved from three months sobriety and bought a brand new guitar. Monthly milestones are met with some Reese cups or Halo Top ice cream…but nothing too wild.

Edit to add picture of the guitar, as I’m super proud of being able to do that, and it looks awesome. Purple one in the middle:

8 Likes

That is so awesome, I’m really happy for you! They look SO cool! love that you mark monthly milestones too. Do you have a favourite song to play on your guitar?

Really cool and lasting way to mark milestones, love it! My man and I are going to buy a squat rack, my half with the money I saved not drinking. :star_struck:

2 Likes

Well, it changes a lot depending on my mood, but this is my go to. Technical, and it’s a great warm up.

1 Like

I did the same thing after hitting six months! Bought a power rack, and built a deadlift platform.

Here’s my home set up

2 Likes

Super awesome! and how funny you also got this for yourself as a reward!!
Ours will be similar except it has to be in our living room as our flat is so small… I’m doing deadlifts on a couple very sturdy yoga mats, thank god my downstairs neighbour is a gym nut himself… :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Amazing, I wish I had that in my flat! One of the many things I love about being sober is how much better exercise feels :smiley:

2 Likes

I love this! :smiley:

1 Like

I plan on rewarding myself with money saved from not using, after I get all my fines paid off. In the meantime, my husband gives me rewards like balloons, cards and candy just to show he appreciates my hard work.

3 Likes

I gave myself a back tattoo (a big one!) when I was 1 year sober.
15 months sober now.

4 Likes