Does anybody or has anyone attended Alcoholics Anonymous

Does anybody or has anyone ever attended Alcoholics Anonymous?
Was it helpful, why or why not,
If not, are there any other face to face support groups you have tried or currently attend?

Thanks in advance

2 Likes

I go to AA and find it very helpful. Was nervous as hell my first meeting. Have made the best friends I have ever had in those rooms tho.

9 Likes

AA saved my life. The people I have met have become close friends. AA was truly the first place where I felt like I belonged and accepted. They get me.

10 Likes

Gosh, I wish I could find it now. There was an informal poll on what support people found to get sober. Don’t quote me on it, but think something like half were AA’s. So if you search around, yeah… there’s a few of us. :wink: It’s super cliche, but it works for me when I keep going back.

Right off the bat I felt welcome and identified strongly when I needed it most. People getting up and telling stories of where they’d been before as if it were my own. Yet there they were, just moments before laughing and carrying on, happy and sober.

Not to mention it gave me somewhere constructive to be where otherwise, well…

So I stick around and follow their lead. In time a sponsor and the steps gave me direction toward action. “It ain’t easy, but it sure is simple.” And through it all the meetings and community keep my compass straight when I feel lost.

8 Likes

AA and its fellowship has worked for me going on two years. I’m grateful for my incredible sponsor and my caring, supportive friends in the fellowship. I never thought I could live an alcohol free life but here I am and I dont miss the hell it put me through.

9 Likes

Another AA here. It helped me realise that not picking up a drink was just the beginning of this journey. It has changed my life and perspective for the better. There are lots of threads you can search for more experience. As for other options, there are many, though availability well depend on your location. If you have a local recovery community center, that’s probably a good place to check out other options. Welcome!

8 Likes

100% the part I love the most.

5 Likes

I’m an AAer, saved my life. Didn’t hurt nearly as bad as drinking did.

It was helpful because it was a room full of fucked up thinking, like mine, who cared about sobriety, like me. No one knows the suffering like those that have suffered the same.

It’s also great because it’s free, there’s almost always a meeting, morning, noon and night.

It’s also great because they do stuff like round ups, they can help you learn how to do things like bbq sober, go to events sober.

It’s also great because they need your help, answering phones, cleaning up, helping fellow alcoholics. Service work plays a large part.

Try it, you might like it. Just remember the HOWs of AA. Be Honest, Openminded and Willing.

7 Likes

I like this!!

4 Likes

Yeah, so many options.

@Jowieseff: First, just the common wisdom that if you’re near several meetings and one is a miss, try others. Each can have its own character.

And besides AA there’s Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (a common group therapy for in/out-patient programs), SMART (non-spiritual), Celebrate Recovery (Christian), Refuge Recovery (Buddhist), Women for Sobriety (ladies only)…

The list goes on and on! :blush:

6 Likes

AA has been the key for me. I couldn’t get sober on my own, I tried sooooo many times. The support and friendships I’ve made have helped me stay sober for the last 18 months.
What I did not expect was how AA is not just about quitting alcohol, it helps you become a better human being, and that’s been life changing.
And like someone else said, every meeting has a little bit different vibe so try out a bunch until you find a good fit.

8 Likes

No I am doing it all on my own…I feel more comfortable doing it that way instead of being in front of a group…

4 Likes

Some people can do this on their own. I’m just not one of those people. In AA you are not in front of a group but part of a group with so many people that have experienced the same things. I’ve gained so much and grown as a man and father. I’m still working on the husband part of my life but that’s just growing in my journey. It also has made me a better person for doing things for others in recovery I would never have done on my own. I’m giving back what was so freely given to me.

8 Likes

AA is an important part of my recovery maintenance plan, coming up on 3 years and I still benefit immensely from 3-5 meetings a week. NA and Al-Anon are also important supports for me, but I first did the 12 steps with a sponsor in AA. Luckily the steps are the same between those fellowships! I tried SMART recovery first but I wasnt ready yet, not sure if it would be a good fit now or not but I’ve found my place in AA as an unashamed agnostic person.

7 Likes

Wow amazing stories,
I’ll be going to a meeting tonight, even though I don’t want too.
I think it’s important to have other people around you who are going through the same thing

15 Likes

I think this feeling applies to most of us. Lets face it, none of us went to our first AA meeting because our lives were perfect.

Good luck, let us know how it went.

5 Likes

Let us know how it goes! I definately didn’t want to go to my first meeting, but thanks to the encouragement of folks here, I’m glad I did!

3 Likes

I love AA. Going into a meeting made me nervous at first but I quickly felt at home. I go when to meetings even when I feel that I don’t need to. AA works if you work it!

4 Likes

I’m of AA saved my life group. I’m currently over 20 months sober bc of AA

4 Likes

No one walks into AA for the first time on a winning streak.

The only person AA won’t work for is someone who doesn’t want it to work.

To those who say “AA made me want to drink” be real with yourself. What didn’t make you want to drink? Woke up? Good time for a drink. Tough day at work? Good time for a drink. Nephews barmitzfah? Good time for a drink. Girlfriend dumped me? Good time for a drink. Found a perfect girl? Good time for a drink.

Surprise surprise, someone with a drink or drug problem wants to drink or drug.

Go and just sit and listen, the only thing required for membership is a desire to stop drinking. That’s all. Don’t have to speak, shake hands, make eye contact, say the lords prayer, put money in the basket.

Let us know what you think man.

5 Likes