Does anyone have a list of things to preoccupy

Listening to tapes or CD’s.
Recovery ones that is. Lol

1 Like

https://www.zooniverse.org/projects

Zooniverse does fun online volunteer projects for all different types of things, eg animals, biology, history etc etc. You can spend as long on there as you like plus you’re helping research, and it’s free!

A few years ago I helped a project identifying planktons in photos :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

They just emailed me about one of their projects “Synapse Protein Zoo” :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes: to do with looking at neurons in the brain. I like the phrase synapse protein zoo

1 Like

Going for walks and the gym is helping me stay busy try not to let you get in your way breath bro

Don’t know if you’re still here, just realized this is an older post but I already had something to share in mind.

To echo what others said, boredom isn’t the enemy, it’s normal. But I understand needing to keep yourself preoccupied at first. What I’ve started doing is going to my library during the day.

1. It gets me out of the house, I needed that.
  2. Its comfortable and quiet.
  3. Their wifi is a lot better, so I just sit there and bum it while taking surveys online to make a few bucks (qmee is the only survey site I know of that actually pays you to paypal whenever you request it and doesn’t have a threshold to cash out or make you take giftcards). Not affiliated btw.
  4. It ties into my other hobbies. I love to read and regularly check out books, I just started a blog that I’d like to get more into, I’m really into learning video editing and that at least lets me access resources quickly (again my personal wifi is like dial-up speed) and I’m learning all sorts of other things online instead of just recycling social media news over and over.

My library isn’t much, really crap probably compared to most others (crap rural town), but it’s great to have free access to it and it’s on a pleasant property which has picnic benches outside so I can sit indoors or out and right down the street is a new little coffee shop and bistro.

I bought a Nintendo Switch last year when I started trying to get sober and it’s one of the few things I haven’t allowed myself to sell for booze when broke because it’s such a good way to get out of my head. I used to like games a lot before I started drinking but didn’t play while drinking. Now I got back into them and really enjoy it.

Years ago I was flying (private pilot) and it’s going to be a long time before I’m in a place to get back into that but it was always a passion of mine, and being sober I can pursue that again. So even if there’s something huge you want to do, you can start working towards that at least. Whatever that might be. I think you should have smaller immediate hobbies plus large dreams or goals you want to pursue.

Besides all that, I go for walks, meditate (which I think is important for everyone), I got back into weight lifting, I keep a journal and a dream journal. I also started taking lots of photos on my walk. I can’t call it photography lol, but I enjoy it and I love to watch travel videos on youtube from places I want to visit. I can waste hours doing that. But I think the point is, try like 1000 hobbies, you don’t have to keep them. I probably won’t keep all mine.

2 Likes