Does anyone want to share their addiction and/or why they are quiting?

Just curious, I think it would help keep us on track.

4 Likes

Alcohol - I’m quitting because it WILL kill me, one way or another, sooner or later. Been too many close calls as it is.

9 Likes

I’m quitting because if I don’t I’m going to lose EVERYTHING and I really hate the person I am when drinking. Blackouts abusing people trying to stab someone. All because of alcohol :sob:

7 Likes

Ive quit meth for almost 10 monthes but now I have cross addicted to weed. I must quit smoking, I say im going to everyday and everyday I smoke… One day I will quit! I need to get back to work.

6 Likes

Alcohol.
I don’t like it to be chained by it.
I want to be focused on other things in life then just alcohol (when I may drink, how much may I drink…and then get loaded and do stupid and have black outs and a hangover the day after).
I also want to be a better example for my kids.
Today day 29 sober.

10 Likes

Alcohol. I hate who I am when I’m drinking, and I just feel like I’m poisoning my body. I’ve got 3 kiddos counting on me to stick around and be healthy while they’re growing up, and I don’t want to miss a moment with them.

3 Likes

Alcohol quit because im a Alcoholic

10 Likes

First thing I was addicted to was PAIN PILLS . For about 12 years.
started METH after medical malpractice issue(coma life support 25 surgeries all because of a surgeon screwing up big time) wanted to keep up activity as normal pace like I always had.
Meth- quit because it caused too much anexity couldnt let my body relax but continued with the pills
Finally gave up the pills because of new marriage. The in laws showed my that the heroin and needle was cheaper and worked better.
Quit the heroin doctors warned me because of the sepsis infection if I continued I would die antibiotics quit working…my one dream was to be a mother! Because of all the surgeries becoming a mother was going to be very difficult. But in my marriage I was given an amazing 4 year old step son and he didnt deserve the life that he was subjected to by his biological family. I had to stop to be the mom I wanted to be and to be the one that was going to protect him and take care of him. I realized he may not be mine biologically but God put him in my life because he needed me as much as I needed him. He needed the protection the support the caregiver and I needed a son. Unfourtnetly the husband did not stop with the drugs when i did and i had no rights in court for my step son so I lost him anyway. Forever he will be my reason for being sober and I will never stop fighting or giving up.

8 Likes

Alcoholic with a liking for cocaine and painkillers.

Went from a functioning addict to a non functioning one overnight. Woke up, nearly died, dont really fancy going quite yet.

Work a program, have a plan. Life is wonderful

5 Likes

Alcohol
Its ruined my life and made my depression so much worse. It also makes me believe I’m worthless and I don’t deserve anything.

4 Likes

I haven’t had a dramatic low, but I don’t want to let it get that far before self-correcting. I don’t like mood swings, not thinking clearly, and hangovers. I avoid responsibility to drink. I want to become a nurse (I’m in school now). I want to support a family and enjoy my life. Alcohol is getting in the way of my dream life and it’s not worth it.

I never suspected it would be this challenging to quit, but that is all the more reason to do so. I love myself more than alcohol. We can do it.

6 Likes

Alcohol and used to be prescription drugs. Alcohol has ruin many relationships not only with partners but family members also. It was slowly making my anxiety and depression worse and worse until I had a full blown anxiety attack at work last week due to excessive alcohol consumption over the weekend of the AFL grandfinal. Apparently that’s when shit went down and my now ex lost all respect for me after what I’d done. Him telling me he needs time to think about us as what happened really concerned him. He rang that day and broke it off. (Yesterday) I am getting sober so I can rebuild my life from the ground up. Even though I am struggling badly I will get through it and come out stronger :muscle:t3::muscle:t3:

4 Likes

Totally hearing you on that :disappointed:

1 Like

I want to quit alcohol because it makes me lazy, I don’t like who I am when I’m drunk, I make poor choices when I’ve been drinking and I want to be a better Mum to my kids. I didn’t realise what a bad example I’m setting for my children I started reading about the effects of alcoholism.

4 Likes

Lust - quit because I hate the person I turn into when I let fantasies into my head. I lose touch with reality and lose empathy for others. I stop feeling emotions and just escape into the unreal. Then I try to make those fantasies come to life which is impossible and only leads to disappointment and shame, driving me ever inward, further isolating me from reality and the people I love.

7 Likes

Alcohol has been my crutch for far too long! 220 days sober from it today. It killed my father and my aunt, and my son is 16 and impressionable thinking drinking is “normal”. I’m breaking that chain and man, its freeing and beautiful! :heart:

13 Likes

Alcohol… it was making me a lazy piece of shit, a crappy father, and driving me to an early grave. I was blacking out 3-4 times per week and it was getting worse. And my health was going downhill quick… high blood pressure, high cholesterol, high triglycerides, achy joints… and I was a fat P.O.S. Since quitting 40 days ago, all of my #'s are back to normal range, I have lost 10+ lbs and my relationships with my family have never been better. Alcohol is POISON. And I dont need to mentally escape from anything. I’m done!

14 Likes

Mine is alcohol. I quit because I needed to. Living was interfering with my drinking. My world was starting to invert. I needed to fix it. I decided to be better, and then set about being better.

6 Likes

I was almost identical to you!! To a t.

1 Like

beer was my best friend, for many many years. we have now parted ways

4 Likes