Does generic lexapro cause weight gain?

Hi I’m currently starting a generic lexapro to help with my depression and anxiety . So far I am 11 days sober from drinking , and 8 days without smoking cigarettes. I still keep binge eating on and off which could be linked to the depression / anxiety . Anyhow , I am hoping that this medication will help balance me out and I’ll stop going to food for comfort . I go to the gym 3/4 times a week I think I would go more if I didn’t go to class and work . But right now that’s what I can do . I just don’t want to gain weight cus if I do that will just trigger my moods to be negative . So far me quitting binge drinking has improved my mood overall but still have some mental issues to work with hence why I’m trying this temporarily. Hopefully it works for me . Just want to hear how it has worked for everyone and if it slows your metabolism down or not? Or why do ppl gain or lose weight on this med anyways ?

It doesn’t appear to cause significant weight gain issues. This paper says the weight gain after 6 months (0.58 ± 2.63 kg) is similar to placebo (0.15 ± 2.33 kg). Even if the result was clinically significant, we’re talking less than a pound difference after 6 months. You can easily fluctuate that much within one day.

As far as personal experience goes, I didn’t notice any issues with weight when I was on it.

2 Likes

Woohoo! This makes me happy , thank you guys .

2 Likes