Does it ever leave you

Having a bad week, feeling emotionally and physically low. You know when your head feels foggy and all thoughts are jumbled. No idea why but all I have thought about over the last couple of days is I really want a large whisky. I am 445 days sober and I thought I had got rid of that annoying voice in my head telling me one won’t hurt. Does it ever leave you? Or is the rest of my life to be an endless struggle of resistance. Is this the challenge that has been set me to see when I am strong even at my weakest. :thinking:

12 Likes

I think it will always be there. I think it gets easier as time goes on but those moments of temptation and cravings still hit you every once in a while.

1 Like

I’m one day behind you and I haven’t had a full day of cravings or multiple since the first two months. Now I have had fleeting thought about it. But that’s where mine ends. And it’s reminds me quickly I’m an alcoholic. But maybe I’m the odd one? Can I ask what do you do to get your mind out of that cycle? Do you still work your recovery?

6 Likes

Just keep on the good fight. I just think of how sick I always felt after. I love waking up feeling good physically and emotionally.

5 Likes

Dislike this fact.

1 Like

I am still waiting for this.

1 Like

You’re not odd. You just remember how terrible it is out there. I’m one of the happiest people I know these days and rarely even think about drinking and using. However, a normal person would look at my current life and be like WTF dude, you live on a couch, have no money or job and get around on a damn pedal bike, how are you happy? I just laugh and go “you should have seen me a year ago”.

15 Likes

It will get easier with time , i dont thinking about drinking or using drugs on daily basis . My mind is not there . If i have a hard time about life , work or other things i can feel red flags if i choose to let the nerve strike again im aware of what can happen . My life would end . My willingness i hold on to that .I dont want that so can call my sponsor , members of my fam or vent here to let go . I also seek my higher power

3 Likes

Do something special for yourself! Take a trip somewhere beautiful, do something you have always wanted to do. But I don’t think it ever leaves you. Lately I’ve been feeling very lonely and it’s because I think I’m living in the past, I miss the people I use to hang out with when I was using. How crazy is that? Even though I New they were bad influences. So I keep busy now and schedule in activities for me, hoping that I will meet new people like minded, it’s hard. But you are doing great! Don’t ever forget that. Goodluck.

9 Likes

Dont think about drink at all today and havnt for a few years now like Chad_R I have not had a craving or thoughts of drinking again since i brought the program into my life and gave away what i got going to meetings ,its only for today it does get easier if you do the right things wish you well

5 Likes

@NatalieE Someone said in an AA meeting just this week to FIGHT against your memories because when they pop up you “still have some work to do”? I assume that means working AA Steps if you’ve worked the program. With so many days of sobriety under your belt I would assume you feel like I would which is somewhat “cured”. But the brain is a marvelous organ that can bring up GOOD memories with a simple SONG, or Photo of the past or even a whiff of perfume, or the of something we cherish. I know the brain can also be tricky and with alcoholism being “cunning, baffling and powerful”, I assume our past of drinking can surface too.
I am proud of you for POSTING…maybe acknowledgement is the first step. I know I would do the same!!! Let me know what you’re feeling now!!!

4 Likes

I think it DOES leave you…it may pop up here or there, but for me, it is no longer pinging around in my head all the time.

Everyone has off and down days, it is then that we need to really remember what we want in life and I know for me, it isn’t going to back to that hell. When the bad thoughts come for me, I know it is because I am remembering the escape of reality, not the hangover and consequences, not the pain and anxiety.

Stay strong and work what works for you. :heart:

6 Likes

I know quite a few people who never think of a drink except maybe once in a surprising moon. I had that the weekend. I haven’t had it at all for three and a half years, and then this St. Patrick’s day (Well last night, not today) I felt sad that I couldn’t go out and dance and listen to music and have a blast in the bars. It was a shock, and quite wack. But I took it as a moment to grow.

You can probably expect that feeling to be less and less, but whether it will never happen again is anybody’s guess. Point is that you’re worth saving, so unanticipated struggle bubble or not, keep up the good fight :fist:t3::fist:t3:

2 Likes

My bottom was pretty terrible so the thoughts of drinking/using are pretty much non-existent. All I have to do is remember those days and it makes today pretty damn awesome. The way I drank and used I should be dead today. My higher power had a different plan so I consider each day to be a blessing and I thank God every day for keeping me clean. There’s no problem in my life that is to great for God to handle.

4 Likes

It comes and goes. Day 321 here and I have times where I miss it and I’m painfully sober and stressed out but I have my outlets and that’s what drives me forward. Also reminding myself that I am in control of my life and the things I do and say now.
I have long spans of no cravings though too. Which is great.Im greatful for that.

3 Likes

I am not quite 200 days, the first couple weeks were hellish but eventually the cravings subsided, then bam, had a weird drinking nightmare the other day. It scared the crap out of me, was so real and reminded me to not be complacent, especially if I feel vulnerable about life.

So no, I don’t think it ever leaves you. I gave up smoking over 20 years now and still love the smell. I secretly wish it were good for you, because I would be right back at it.

4 Likes

I read an article the other day about addiction. It said something like; addiction is the disease and chemical dependency is the symptom. Us addicts will always carry that with us no matter how long we abstain. Whenever I feel like my will is not strong enough, I think of Corinthians 10:13.

No temptation has overtaken you except what is common to mankind. And God is faithful; he will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear. But when you are tempted, he will also provide a way out so that you can endure it.

I think that the temptation is always there and never weakens, but the longer we abstain, the greater our strength to resist becomes.

8 Likes

Thank you a for your messages! I came through it but have decided that I need to keep working on my soberity which I got complacent about. So refocus regain perception! :grin:
Feeling positive though. Have some really big events coming up this year and alot of pressure moments so fingers crossed.
I know I will never be cured just keep resisting.
Wish me luck x

1 Like

I’m behind you at 380 + days. My voice is quiet most of the time although he shows his viscous head every once in a while. I just bash him lol

3 Likes

I was just thinking the same thing I am now 326 days sober and some nights I get out of work and just think I could just have one. Then I think about when I was drinking and how I felt even worse, so is it really worth it. An the thought of giving up the days I have sober…NO WAY! To much hard work to give up now!

2 Likes