Does one drink count?

Be proud for stopping at one for sure…but yeah even a sip is a relapse. That being said it’s good you’re moving forward now! Good on ya. Dont flirt with it too much though. You got away with it this time. Dont test yourself :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Don’t test it… But I think the skills you learned up until that point aren’t forgotten… so yes… you slipped… But don’t let it happen again. Try not to beat yourself up too bad, but also understand the severity of the consequences “one drink” can have.

Sorry, wrong answer.

act like this never happened.

That’s called denial, son. It fucking near killed me. The OP drank and is now toying with the idea that since it wasn’t a binge, it’s OK. I would use that kind of event, the rare time I didn’t get blackout drunk, to justify an illusion of control. Every time I had seeming control, I would return to a loss of control within a day or two.

I think your comment was misguided at best, possibly was enabling. Take a good look at your attitude toward sobriety and by that I mean 100% not drinking.

I don’t fuck around when it comes to my sobriety. I don’t drink. I fought it for over 30 years. Once I surrendered, and got help, I’ve stayed stopped. I am not going to allow myself one drink once in a while and “act like it didn’t happen”.

Next time I get blackout drunk will be the next time I drink. And I might kill myself, my family, or a stranger. I’m not willing to bet I won’t.

This is serious shit, don’t talk nonsense about it.

27 Likes

This is some :fire::fire: :fire: right here. That illusion of control has been the downfall of many.

10 Likes

Well for my friend who quit using heroin his one slip killed him
So yes I would say one drink counts for an addict.

6 Likes

Im learning from my sponsor that the reason we can’t take that first drink is that we have an abnormal reaction to alcohol. One drink induces a craving for more. That craving doesn’t always show up right away. Case in point, you’re experiencing it in the middle of the night a few days later. Tread lightly and enjoy the rest of your trip in ways that bring you joy!

6 Likes

You completely misinterpreted my comment. It was not meant to be “enabling”. But the fact is, it already happened, and nothing can change that. OP already feels bad about it enough to share it openly with us. When I said forget about it, I meant move on from it… stop thinking about it, don’t dwell on it, and continue living your life as you did before the drink. Calm down.

2 Likes

This post is obsolete

2 Likes

I just edited my first message to better convey what I was trying to say. Thank you. I understand and see that now

4 Likes

If you meant something different, then use different words.

The OP had a history of relapse. Learning from one can be valuable, also, the drink she had its not over and done with - days later she’s dwelling on it still

6 Likes

Its funny how cunning this addiction is. The thing we have power over is saying no to the first drink, after that it gets super questionable. It’s great you didn’t dive headfirst off the wagon, but you stepped off and are running behind the wagon to try to get back on it now. That addiction is trying to keep you off that wagon.You have to make very conscious decisions now, keep running and jump back on (not caving to these temptations) or be a slave again to a beverage. I have full faith you can do it but you’ve got to do something different and do whatever it takes to get sober if you want back on the wagon. Good luck my friend, I truly hope you beat this battle!

8 Likes

That’s the truth. You show the beast inside a little light at the mouth of the cave and it will try to make its way to the outside world.

@Menotme23 be vary wary of that 1 drink. As stated, the illusion of control has taken many souls straight to the grave.

3 Likes

You know the answer on your question:) thank you for your honesty . I hope you learn what you should not do . I wish u the best and im hoping you will do whats best for you . I really do . Dont test sobrierty. Life it self is worth living . 1 to many , i would say None at all . Alcohol is poison and devastating to family’s all over the Globe. Stay willing and embrace life :smiley::heart:

3 Likes

Continuing the discussion from Why would you "test" your sobriety?:

Yes. One drink counts. One sip counts.

So many years of denial. Thanks for sharing your honest words.

4 Likes

Like many stories on here. My friend’s one last time ended up costing him his life.

I’m the same way with drinking. I’ll have one drink with dinner and the next weekend have a few but stayed in control. Then eventual I get to the place I’m drunk smoking weed and trying to score something more. I’ve gotten lucky the past couple times, but luck runs out. Trust me!

We have to draw a hard line in the sand. If we slip we need to hold ourselves accountable and realize the severity of what happened, but also not beating ourselves up which could push us across the line again. It’s tricky, but that’s why you have this community. We’re here for you! Push that reset button and go get it!!!

3 Likes

My pattern has been identical. I’ll stop for a while, then at some point have a drink with dinner. Three days later I’ll have 2 or 3. A week later I’m blackout shitfaced, wake up depressed and ashamed, cycle starts again.

6 Likes

Bingo!! This right here, every time!

3 Likes

Glad u posted your story. Some very good advise provided here for free. Thanks everyone for your valuable input.

1 Like