Doing or learning new stuff every day!

So now I stopped destroying my brain cells with alcohol, I can make some new ones! It has something to do with neuroplasticity (love that word!) and even when you’re 50+ you can still make new brain cells. Isnt’ that amazing? One way to renew brain cells is to do something new, something you’ve never done before. This could be a small activity, like try to stand upside on your head, or it could be a bigger one like learning a new language or an instrument. I’ll try to do something new everyday and it is very satisfying and rewarding afterwards. I’ve think that its also good to overcome fears and anxiety.

Yesterday I explored a new nature area and looked for the smallest insects with my little boy and we tried to hear as much different birds singing as we could. And today I did a Pilates lesson for the first time (online but with much personal attention) and I loved it!

Hope you guys will join me and tell me about your new experiences.

7 Likes

HOW FUN!!! I started experimenting in the kitchen! I like new recipes and trying new and fun things to make. To be honest, it’s my only artistic outlet. Some people, you can given them a piece of wood or a ribbon and they can make this stunning artistic something. I cannot LOL So last year, I had gotten a stand up mixer and a few other kitchen gadgets and it’s been a blast :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Gosh I love this idea! For me, yesterday was : learning how to do “sudoku” :joy: :joy: :joy: not so fascinating but hey, that’s still something :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

2 Likes

That’s great! Now I wanna know off course what was the most delicious thing you’ve made so far?

1 Like

I can imagine that solving sudoku’s are good for your brain. I did it a long time ago with my lover, was very relaxing :sunglasses: Haven’t got enough patience now.

2 Likes

A TS peep from Finland taught me how to make Finnish pancakes! OMG so good! And it had Nutella inside and whip cream on top YOM!

4 Likes

I find that trying to learn Japanese keeps me pretty busy when I’m not working (which is what I do most of the time).
It helps to stave off the otherwise omnipresent depression, anyway.
The writing and reading part is a real challenge, believe me !

2 Likes

I love learning, I read loads of wellbeing books and currently teaching myself the harmonica, I’m also investing time, knowledge and money into old things like gold and collectable toys. So far got a 1972 paddington bear and a golliwog which is banned so I’m likely stuck with it bc you can’t sell them online that I’ve seen.

2 Likes

You had me at nutella!

2 Likes

Reading Japanese sounds like a huge challenge indeed, and writing even more. That is awesome and great if the focus shifts away from your depression by learning another language! Have you ever been to Japan btw?

Yesterday I was working in my garden. I’m a newbie as it comes to gardening and this is the second year I try to make something out of it. So yesterday I had a first-time moment when I was digging the ground with my bare hands I touched an earthworm and a snail. Weird thing was I didn’t react, just observed it and continues. Never thought I had this in me. :smile:

Today I have not done something that is totally new to me. Maybe it happens in the next hours, we will see.

2 Likes

“Challenge” is the right word ! I’m using an internet application to help with the Chinese characters, so I’m focusing right now on reading / understanding them… being able to write them will come later !
I’ve been to Japan several times… the first time over 25 years ago, when I taught English and French at a language school in Tokyo. Then there was a huge gap…
I haven’t been this year because of this bloody virus, but the four previous years, I had gone to Japan for about 3 or 4 weeks, that included a couple of weeks of language lessons (3 times in Kobe, once in Fukuoka), followed by some tourism. I’m really hoping to go back soon… but in the meantime, I keep studying. It’s also a HUGE help that I’m now able to take private Japanese lessons online, with a teacher in Japan. It’s good (for me, anyway) to have regular lessons… and doing it over the Internet is MUCH cheaper than the one-on-one lessons that I had previously been taking here.