Done being embarrassed

I have drank myself stupid for the past two days. Can’t remember most of it. I don’t want to be like this anymore. Does anyone go to AA? What’s it like?

14 Likes

Hi @RheaRhea! It’s a big moment when you say enough is enough and admit that you have a problem with alcohol. The good news is that you never have to feel like this again! Be gentle with yourself, drink plenty of water and get rest. This place is amazing and there is so much information and support here, there is always someone around 24/7 if you need them. I wish you well on your journey and I look forward to seeing you around. :pray:t2::two_hearts:

6 Likes

Wow thank you for all the resources and information. I really appreciate it

3 Likes

I never went to AA, i went to NA which is pretty similar. I can see how many people find it to be helpful in the sense that you have a sober support network, a group of people that can understand and relate strongly with your situation and addiction, and vice versa. You can gain compassion, guidance, wisdom, and advice from people who understand.

Being the painfully shy, anxious, reticent person that I am though, it was hard for me to get anything out of it. But as long as that isn’t a problem for you, i would highly recommend it!

3 Likes

I’m in AA … a little over a year. I bawked against it at first… but it has literally been a lifesaver for me.

4 Likes

I have my first “in person” meeting Thursday! I’m nervous but excited!

4 Likes

The program of recovery in AA has helped millions of people get sober. What it’s like is a bunch of drunks trying to help each other. The program gave me the challenge of being open minded to any and all suggestions. And it gave me a solid road map to recovery. AA saved my life. How I felt about the process didn’t much matter, as long as I went along with the program.

AA can work for you, too. :pray:

2 Likes

Hey!
So this is probably my 100th time saying I need to stop drinking. Usually the day after drinking heavily I get the anxiety…the oh shit I did it again and the regret. That moment I swear alcohol off for good, but then those feelings fade and I am like I can socially drink…I just have to cut my drinking down a bit ect
I make every excuse in the book but deep down I know I need to stop
I am nervous about AA for some reason
I have gone in the past but always feel like it’s such an older crowd (no offense) and I can’t relate
Yes to the stories about being drunk but like day to day

1 Like

AA is full of people were you are now , just people who want to stop drinking , saved my life and many more , give it try if you put as much effort in it like you did when drinking then it will help you on your sober journey wish you well

3 Likes

Find a meeting. Walk in, raise your hand and say your new. Ask for phone numbers after the meeting and make connections.

2 Likes

Just wanted to thank you for the resources again. I signed up for Soberistas.

Good luck at your meeting!

Thank you! I got a lot of rest and stayed hydrated. Look forward to seeing you guys too!

1 Like

I like the diary idea thank you!

If I put that much effort I’ll pass with flying colors lol. Thank you and I think I’m going to give it a go.

1 Like

I drank and drugged myself stupid for 22 years. In the previous 18 months before getting sober I was in rehab 3x and arrested for possession once. After my third rehab I decided to give AA an honest shot. I showed up to a meeting after rehab. I was homeless, jobless and friendless. I was destroyed mentally, physically and emotionally. 38 months later and I have not had the need or desire to pick up a drink or a drug. My body has healed from 2 decades of abuse. My mental health has improved vastly. Emotionally I can handle any situation, good or bad, as a result of working the 12 steps.

4 Likes

For me, it’s like the show Cheers but instead of beers being served up there is cookies and coffee :rofl::rofl:

I got sober and AA has helped me stay that way for 35 months.

3 Likes