Dont want to go back on anti depressants

Hi. I am really suffering from mood swings and feeling really low on occasions. I snap at everyone and cry sporadically. I have had depression throughout my life but want to try and manage this without prescription anti depressants. I was on different types over the years and none really helped. Can anyone recommend a herbal supplement? I exercise sometimes but at the moment I need something to motivate me to do so. I’m taking vitamin B and eating healthy but still I’m struggling. Thanjs for reading.

1 Like

1. St. John’s wort

St. John’s wort is also known as Hypericum perforatum . This plant has been a common herbal mental health treatment for hundreds of years. However, people must use caution if they chose to try it as a potential treatment for depression.

A 2016 systematic review found that St. John’s wort was more effective than a placebo for treating mild to moderate depression and worked almost as well as antidepressant medications.

2 Likes

I feel for you. I have tried, twice, not needing a medication (anxiety paralyzes me, probably a big part of why I drink to relax). Things weren’t working, or so I thought, so slowly quit. Then I drank more. Found a mental health PA that really listened…It has been 4-months and I think we found the right med. Enough to calm me down enough to give sobriety another chance.
My issue was “being on meds”. The stigma! Now? I’m so over it. It’s not like we turn into zombies. It HELPS, just as a diabetic needs insulin. I feel like a normal person with normal thoughts then I try to think my system doesn’t need it and I mess it up.
Sorry, not trying to dissuade you from going au naturale! Just be prepared to go through some crap and wean yourself. After my 7-mo of a nonstop flooding of negative thinking, I resolved that I will probably always need something to block a few receptors. We’re all flawed. :blush: But I totally get wanting to be “clean”!

3 Likes

Hi, I am glad that you are managing with your meds at the moment. I know how tough it is. I am just fed up of trying the different medications and not finding one that helps or suits me. Ive had horrible side effects and withdrawal which has put me off.
I hope things continue to go well for you and thanks for replying. :slight_smile:

1 Like

@costalot80 It’s a lifelong struggle to find the right meds. The side-effects can be INTENSE. They say, “suicidal thoughts”. I never had that, but one med, an antidepressant, had me OBSSESSING with death, dying, what are we doing but filling time between birth and death, thoughts that made my gut turn, I’d puke, couldn’t eat…but I soldiered on b/c Doc says, “It takes time to work. Trust the process”.
Nope! Then he gave me something else that made me feel like I was crawling out of my skin. Again, tried for 6-7 months to give it a fair shot. Nope!
It seems like nothing will ever work and we just have to learn to live a life of internal struggle. Hugs to you! :pensive: This is a safe space to vent. So many of us struggling, but thank God we’re open enough to discuss it and, perhaps, even problem solve and find solutions.

1 Like

I saw this and thought of your post. Maybe it can help. I wish you the best.

https://neurostar.com/?utm_medium=social&utm_source=Facebook&utm_campaign=NeuroStar_CBO&utm_term=Custom_Depression_A&utm_content=Patient_Testimonial_Caregiver

2 Likes

Thanks. I’ve heard a lot about SJW. I’ve bought some to try.

1 Like

Just make sure you don’t take it when you are also on antidepressants (and certain other psychiatric medications). And if you do decide to try antidepressants again, tell your doctor (or at the very least the pharmacist) that you are taking St. John’s Wort. The two can interact in bad ways.

3 Likes

The quality of your B Complex vitamin is very important. Are you taking it in tablet form? Vitamin D is also very important, dependent on how much sun you are getting this time of year.

1 Like

Sometimes it comes down to vanity or sanity. Sometimes side effects suck (a majority do) but the positives out wiegh by having a stable mindset. Sometimes it takes a while to find something that works. You can try the natural method. Maybe trying some DBT or CBT exercises. Just dont give up and keep an open mind…many times mental health issues is what brought us all here as we used our DOC as a safe house. None of this mess we caused by years of abuse is going to get fixed over night or by next week. Just live in the present and be the best version of you you can be today and progress will follow.

6 Likes

right now weaning myself off effexor. i feel your pain. having some pretty intense mood swings as well, along with general moodiness in the evening. working on finding some other ways to manage it - routine, noting my triggers and planning around it.
maybe ask your doctor about some of these supplements:
SAM-e, l-tryptophan & 5-HTP, kava (herbal tea, anxiety)

-plant

1 Like

St John’s wort does work. There is another supplement called Sam-e. It works also. Good luck.

1 Like

I was on effexor for years and I know that coming off it is a bit of a nightmare. Thanks for the reply and hope you are managing ok.

Great, thanks.

Yes, I am. Also I have been taking vitamin B since October. :slight_smile:

Highly agree with you. The stigma around it is so ridiculous. They really do help if you find the right one an dosage .

3 Likes

@Jdog499 Hey! I moved down to Norco, CA from Nor Cal almost 3-yrs ago! Grew up Lake County, school in Santa Rosa, work in Novato, married in Stockton, Divorced in Redding, and happy back where the weather is nice on us horse people. :slight_smile:
The stigma SUCKS. And anxiety…like, “Ooooh, you can’t HANDLE shit!” I’m becoming more vocal, but only in the company of people with minds that might try to understand and not roll their eyes.
I was a competition USPSA multigun competitor in Nor Cal and So Oregon. My coach and I reloaded everything. Never had to worry, but Newsom and his laws, if you have a “mental illness” then you can’t buy x,y,z. I would think they’d WANT people admitting to needing help and being treated. The ones that aren’t treated are scary. Slippery slope. The brain gets neurotransmitter control, the pancreas gets insulin control, the heart gets a TON of meds, but the brain get stigmatized. It’s not right.
I swear my anxiety contributed tremendously to my drinking. Kept me chill.

Oh wow stocktons right down the highway from me that’s awesome. I’m sure where your at now is way better that’s for sure. I always thought my anxiety was caused by drinking an substance abuse. Now I’m wondering if those bad habits caused all that . Def hard to explain to people who haven’t went through it before