Doubts about tonight

My friends are playing a show at a local bar tonight which will be filled with people drinking and people being drunk.

I want to go support my friends band, and I’m doing amazing with sobriety, but I still fear that because I’m still in the early parts of my sobriety that I might justify a drink which would be the end to this…

Am I just being silly? Surely I can be around people and not drink, or maybe I just don’t want to be around drunk people because I find it unappealing to be around.

5 Likes

First congrats on your soberity! If you dont feel comfortable about your surroundings let your friends know. Me personally I dont trust my self alcohol and I stay clear of it but everyones diffrent.

5 Likes

Not silly at all! If I felt it threatened my sobriety, I’d take a pass.

I skipped out on bar outings for a long stretch early on. Once back I made it clear I don’t drink. Still today I miss the occasional thing and bounce early from parties, aware even that’s playing with fire.

There’s a whole lifetime of shows I can be there for if I’m sober, but do I know if I’ll have another recovery? Maybe for today you can support them other ways, like getting the word out even if you can’t make it.

5 Likes

When in doubt, wait it out. You can still support your friends without being there. Call or text to wish them a good show, promote it on facebook etc. Your sobriety is worth more than the few bucks they will make from your cover fee.

5 Likes

If you’re worried about it then take a raincheck. There will be plenty of other times to support your friends and they will understand. If they don’t… Well that says something about them!

I get the thing about wanting to just be able to cope in any situation but it’s ok to take as much time as you need to build up to it.

5 Likes

Not at all. In early sobriety I wouldn’t even have attended the show. I’m sure other people will be there to support the band. Your sobriety must come first. If you are having doubts the best idea would be to avoid the temptation all together

3 Likes

No the best thing about being sober is just that! Showing the strength and control you have while others loose theirs. For me being able to say “no I don’t drink” or just enjoying a good night out is part of the great feeling of being sober. Believe me standing watching others having what looks like fun soon becomes watching others slowly loose money,dignity,reason and sometimes much worse. Being the sober voice of reason, the great leveler had become a roll I enjoy on a night out. I know I will never drink or use drugs again and my presence with my freinds who still do reinforces that fact

2 Likes

Couldn’t have said it any better. I’m not a selfish person. But I knew this is the one time I would have to be.

3 Likes

How did it go?

I decided to stay in. I haven’t seen these friends for awhile and wanted to say hey, but the thing is the venue…

This bar is full of actual alcoholics and the environment sucks to begin with. I’ve bartended at some pretty shady ppaces and would never work there.

Going on double digits, treated myself to a pizza and some netflix instead, I’m not going to put myself in a situation I don’t even feel like being. Thanks for checking in :slight_smile: Hows your night going?

9 Likes

Okay, this made me lol. :rofl: Good on ya!

Haha, It’s a real dive. Smells like a toilet and has the nice big pickled egg jar on the table.

Proud of you! It was good. We went and got Blaze pizza and watched a movie and I went to bed lol

HA! It’s been awhile since I saw that!